PDA

View Full Version : American 3rd class medical question...

FlightSimFreak
30th Sep 2001, 03:32
I'm going for my third class medical in a few weeks, and I wanted to know a few things. First of all, do they do the hernia test (ie. "Turn your head and cough")? and more importantly, if I've had a migraine, due to not eating for a few days (that happened on two different occasions) or due to swimming the length of an Olympic length swimming pool on one breath under water (only happened once). Also, I've given up on that not eating thing, I've decided that I should try to lose weight other ways, for example, eating healthier (no McDonalds), not drinking pop (soda, coke, it's a regional thing, what ever you call it), and regularly exercising. Please help. Also, it's not in the AIM/FAR, but do you have to have a student pilot's license to train dual? Also, do you have to have insurance to solo? Remember, I'm an American, but I will respect all input, because some British regulations may apply here too.

30th Sep 2001, 16:03
Yep, you should have a student certificate. Ask the doc for the yellow paper (medical 3 and student licence on one paper).
I think insurance for solo is your personal business, no law that says you need one.

Regards

inverted flatspin
1st Oct 2001, 06:00
If you are not older than 35 then a first class is usually the same price as a third class, the difference is the ECG needed for first class. It is probably best to go for the highest class of medical as these then revert to lower classes as they expire ie after six months a first class automatically becomes a second class and after a year it automatically becomes a third class unless you renew it in the meantime.

Constable Clipcock
1st Oct 2001, 09:37
BE77SkipperStudent queried:
...do they do the hernia test...?Yes. This is routine on all medical examinations.
...I've had a migraine, due to not eating for a few days (that happened on two different occasions) or due to swimming the length of an Olympic length swimming pool on one breath under water (only happened once).How do you know those to have been true migraine attacks? If you haven't been clinically diagnosed "migraine", then you have no reason to list these episodes, especially given that they were isolated events triggered by known — and thoroughly avoidable — causes. Long-term fasting can cause severe headaches in just about anyone (though not everyone), likewise the one you experienced swimming could have been caused by muscle-tension.
...I've decided that I should try to lose weight....Lots of MC I holders carry some "extra" weight; this is generally less of a problem on the MC III than you think.

If you are significantly overweight, it's certainly a good idea to ask your examiner his input with regard to weight-loss. Doing so will not jeopardize your flight physical. Also, it's not in the AIM/FAR...If something is presented as a "requirement", yet isn't specifically stated in the FARs, then it isn't a requirement. ...do you have to have a student pilot's license to train dual?No, you do not need a certificate of any description merely to take dual instruction — or ground school, for that matter. You will have to obtain one in order to solo however. Also, do you have to have insurance to solo?This depends entirely upon the policies of the club/FBO/school from which you rent the aircraft you plan to use. When you shop for a training establishment — and you need to talk to several before you decide — make certain that you ask what their insurance will and will not cover, Reputable operators will carry insurance of their own, BTW.

FlightSimFreak
2nd Oct 2001, 07:46
Constable Clipcock, thank you very much, your input is very helpfull. I hate the hernia test, but I guess I'll just have to bear it. Also, I thought that I was requiered to report every event of, as the FAR's put it "Frequent or severe headaches" and the ones caused by fasting and the one from the swimming were all severe. Anyways, I plan on calling an AME that I plan on not going to (there are a lot of AME's here, I'll just call the most expensive one) to confirm what you said. Thank you also for supporting my argument with a friend that a student license is not needed to train dual. Again, thank you very much for your input, it was helpfull.