PDA

View Full Version : Firefox vulnerabilities

BOAC
13th Apr 2010, 13:13
The 'knight in shing armour' may well be just as vulnerable as other browsers, according to a newsletter today from Tech Republic.

Itis all a bit beyond me, but the concern apparently lies with all the 'extensions' and 'plug-ins' we happily install, and has something to do with QUOTE"Cross Site Scripting has significant consequences in extensions, especially when malicious code can be executed from the chrome:// zone" and the fact that QUOTE " the chrome:// zone where the extension’s code runs (chrome privileges are trusted by Firefox). Chrome privileges allow extensions to do basically anything with the OS by querying/interacting with Firefox core functionality provided by XPCOM libraries/interfaces."

If this means anything to anyone, ANY comments?

mixture
13th Apr 2010, 13:57
I'm not going to repeat what I said in #3 in this post ...

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/409779-firefox-vulnerability-revealed.html

txdmy1
13th Apr 2010, 17:35
install the plugins or ectensions you don't need - simples

BOAC
13th Apr 2010, 17:56
Hmm. Noscript whilelists the chrome:// zone.

phnuff
15th Apr 2010, 11:24
The link from mixture mentions Firefox 3.6.2 being available. Guess what, 3,6,3 is now available about a week later addressing at least 2 more serious exploit opportunities.

The browser paradigm is really starting to bug me

mixture
15th Apr 2010, 17:09
The browser paradigm is really starting to bug me

Alright, then......if you want to wear a tin foil hat....

Buy a second computer and operate a high/low environment with a home built cheapo implementation of an airgap firewall in between - no parts or techie know-how required if you want to be extra secure :ok:

Slasher
20th Apr 2010, 13:48
Im on Firefux 3.6.3 and its ok. There are a couple of p!ssey
things that annoy me but still within my comfort zone.

call100
20th Apr 2010, 17:48
No matter what you use, failure of common sense will always do you down...The very nature of computers and the, net along with the techies that use it, means that there will always be vulnerabilities to anything....FF is as good as it gets I'm afraid. As stated it has moved on rapidly from the version being cited.....I have never had a problem with FF and have/do surf in some murky places!!:O:O;)

G-CPTN
25th Apr 2010, 16:34
I've just (today) bought a new laptop (for my daughter) with W7.
I've installed Firefox, but clicking on the icon on the taskbar merely opens existing windows (on my Vista laptop it opens a new Firefox window).

Is this a 'feature' of W7 or can I customise Firefox to open a new browser window each time I click

G-CPTN
25th Apr 2010, 16:58
Yes - it's just when I click on the icon in the W7 taskbar that it acts dumb and will only open existing Firefox windows, and not a fresh Firefox window.

If I click on the Firefox icon on the taskbar in Vista it will open up a new window.

I suspect that this is how W7 works?

HandyAndy
25th Apr 2010, 17:57
If you right-click on the Firefox box on the taskbar and then click Firefox, a new window should open.

G-CPTN
25th Apr 2010, 18:17
Magic!

Thanks!

green granite
25th Apr 2010, 18:17
Or, if you're using bookmarks, right click on the one you want to open and select 'new page' or 'new tab' etc.

G-CPTN
25th Apr 2010, 18:41
Thanks - I'm trying to set up the computer for my daughter with some of the things that I find useful - I'll have to copy over the contents of her sagging hard drive (though I think she has most of the images on CDs now - she downloaded them trying to speed up her wheezing floortop computer (which is quite old).