PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express wont spell check

SOPS
13th Apr 2010, 11:56
I have just installed Office 97 and now my Outlook express wont spell check.
Any suggestions please?

BOAC
13th Apr 2010, 12:38
Google?

Getting spellcheck to work in Outlook Express XP (http://michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm)

BEagle
18th Apr 2010, 06:35
This is a known bug when using Outlook Express 6 after you've installed Office 2007 - for some reason OE6 isn't compatible with the Office 2007 dictionaries.

Microsoft's solution is to download and use Windows Live Mail instead.....:rolleyes:

Well, I'm writing this on my new Dell Vostro 3300 which has both OE6 and Windows Live Mail. I really hate Windows Live Mail right now because it won't let me order my folders the way I require - it orders them in the way some technogeek thinks I want them......

Microsoft knows all about this OE6 / Office 2007 spell check bug (it only works in French..), but seems totally uninterested in fixing it.

And please don't anyone witter on about how good other browsers and e-mail systems may or may not be - or what wonderful things Immac make - this is a specific Outlook Express query!

The link you provided, BOAC, is too complicated for the majority of home users who just want their spell checker back. Why isn't Microsoft fixing its own bugs?

Mornington Crescent
18th Apr 2010, 08:09
SOPS

I presume you do mean Office 97?
It includes Outlook which you could use to solve your problem.

If you are not familiar with outlook it is works very much the same as OE and it is easy to import your OE files.

BOAC
18th Apr 2010, 08:29
Why isn't Microsoft fixing its own bugs?- ah! I do appreciate a sense of humour!

BEagle
18th Apr 2010, 12:20
Yes, the breathtaking arrogance of Microsoft beggars belief. This software bug is the major issue with Office 2007, yet they can't be arsed to fix it.

Perhaps they'll have fixed it in Office 2010? I'm not holding my breath....

BOAC
18th Apr 2010, 12:26
Agreed, but The link you provided, BOAC, is too complicated for the majority of home users who just want their spell checker back. - do you have any better ideas?

BEagle
18th Apr 2010, 15:56
Only one involving Bill Gates :8 and a large garden gnome.....:\

I've also spent most of the day faffing with the HORRIBLE Windows Live Mail, the e-mail system which Microsoft alleges is the replacement for Outlook Express. Well, it just makes everything much more difficult - and I cannot get it to import the WAB file which holds my address book, no matter what I do...:ugh:

Saab Dastard
18th Apr 2010, 16:02
As I mentioned on a recent thread on this topic, you can easily get hold of a 3rd party spell-check add-on for OE.

SD

BOAC
18th Apr 2010, 17:16
This worked for me:

1. Open windows live mail
2. Click on File->Import Address Book (.WAB) from the menu in windows live mail, and follow the wizard.
.......................and I don't like it either!

rogerg
19th Apr 2010, 06:14
Try doing a search. I had the same prob and it was solved by a free OE TP add on and it makes the spell check work normaly.

SOPS
19th Apr 2010, 08:50
Thanks for the help guys..problem solved

BEagle
19th Apr 2010, 09:14
SOPS - what did you do?

The only free spell checker I could find used American English, not proper Queen's English.....:\

Re. Windows Live Mail, if I 'log in' I can import my WAB file, but there is no option to import it if I don't. Then if I log in again, it has gone. This truly sucks - WLM has also just lost a couple of messages which I sent and moved to my 'storage folders'; also the 'All sent items' folder doesn't seem to work; the sent items are only saved in the individual account folders.

BEagle
20th Apr 2010, 07:24
My 'import WAB' bug was solved by updating the 'Windows Live Communication Platform' - it seems that this Dell Vostro 3300 was delivered with an old version pre-installed.

However, along with thousands of other people it seems, I still kept losing 'sent' e-mails from WLM, so I sent off for the 'Australian Fix' which was waiting for me this morning when I checked my e-mails. Downloaded it, unzipped it and followed the instructions.....I now have OE6 back with a UK English spellchecker, so can forget about the POS Windows Live Mail until the Gates-geeks have unbuggered it!

SOPS
22nd Apr 2010, 11:04
I am actually not quite sure what I did. I re installed the file that is suggested on web sites and it now works ok. (In Australian English)

marketaero
28th Apr 2010, 21:47
office 97? what is that?

you have to get on the google bus