PDA

View Full Version : Do i need to wait until i'm 25???

g10
24th Jul 2001, 02:17
Sorry another eyesight question.

I just went for an eyetest.

I have more than -3 Dioptres correction in each eye:
(Right: SPH:-1.75, CYL:-1.75)
(Left: SPH:-1.75, CYL:-1.5)

Does that mean I have to wait until I'm 25 before i would be able to pass a CAA Class one medical?

I read on the JAA webpage that in December 2000 that : "Agreement was reached that the initial refraction limits should be +/-5 dioptres". Is this in effect, or coming into effect soon?

Just wanna know if anyone has any advice or is in a similar position....I'm 22 right now, will i have to wait another 3 years?

Thanks in advance

Kestrell820
25th Jul 2001, 18:18
So, but how can I show that my eyesight is stable for 3 years? Must I contact my doctor,
that he writes me something??

foghorn
26th Jul 2001, 16:11
g10,

You're well within the 3 dioptre limit! The regulations say that you should be better that -3 dioptres in any one median axis. You don't add the spherical and cylindrical components like you are doing.

I'm
Right: SPH -2.25, CYL -0.5
Left: SPH -0.5, CYL 0

and I had no problems getting the Class One and that was before the new 5 dioptre regs came in when it was 3 dioptres or bust!

Get yerself to Gatwick and get yer class one, mate.

cheers!
foggy

g10
27th Jul 2001, 02:14
Thanks Foggy

You've made my year by telling me that!!!!

g10

g10
28th Jul 2001, 02:22
looks like i spoke to soon......

went to opticians today and they said you do add SPH and CYL together!!!!

although i have my doubts coz it was an opticians assistant rather than the optician herself.

besides Foggy had less than -3 anyway...so maybe thats why he passed...

can anyone else throw any light on the subject? to add or not to add???

g10

foghorn
28th Jul 2001, 15:35
I guess I nearly failed on the maths test. Sorry if I got your hopes up g10.

The actual JAR wording is:

If you wear correction the refractive error must not exceed +3.00 to -3.00 dioptres in the most ametropic meridian (the worst axis - taking into account any astigmatism). Astigmatism must not exceed 2.00 dioptres. The difference in refractive error between each eye (anisometropia) must not be more than 2.00 dioptres.

A friendly optometrist who I spoke to said that this means that you had to be worse than -3 in the spherical or -2 in the cylindrical to fail without adding the figures together. I am no expert in this.

Havign just read a document on the internet it seems that you do add the numbers. Sorry for any confusion that I've caused with this - it looks like I was misinformed (or I didn't pose the question properly to the optometrist....)

In the meantime, get an alternative career and dive back in when you're 25! Extra life experience makes interviews easier....

foggy.

[ 28 July 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

Crowe
28th Jul 2001, 18:15
You definitely have to add the numbers I'm afraid - I had a good chat to the optician at Gatwick when I went for my Class I.

So it's wait till you're 25, or head off the US...

g10
29th Jul 2001, 00:48
ok, so i have to wait until I'm 25 to meet the current requirements......

Does anyone know when the revised -5 requirements discussed by the JAA medical subcommittee in December 2000 will come into effect?

g10

Cypres
30th Jul 2001, 20:43
g10,

If you have eye tests from previous years then you may be able to prove stability and beat the system that way.

More importantly however, IT IS NOT CAST IN STONE. The CAA can bend the rules if they wish and I know of people who like yourself (and myself for that matter) are just outside the limits but have been given their class 1.
All it takes is determination. For God's sake don't give up - there must be hundreds (or more) people out there who would have been cracking pilots but for the fact they gave up when the CAA pronounced they didn't meet the standard.
Don't let the Bas@#&ds grind you down.
If you keep pestering them and make their life hell they will eventually bend and let you have the class 1.
I'm not saying this is the case for any medical ailment but in instances like your's where you are so very close to the limit (and actually meet the renewal criteria) then it's entirely possible. :D

Take a look at some of Mr Magoos previous posts (I'm pretty sure he was in a similar position to yourself - and he's got his class 1 now!)

Good Luck
(p.s. please let the forum know how you get on)

g10
31st Jul 2001, 03:05
i sent in my previous prescriptions....just waiting the "10 working days" the CAA told me it takes to process an enquiry.....

then I'll pester them 'til i get my class 1.

don't worry I'll let you know what happens...

g10