PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain hours while job seeking?

algae12185
13th Apr 2010, 04:58
Hello,

I just joined this forum tonight to seek some advice.

I'm a CFI rotorcraft pilot that started my own business, but it's just not coming around. Now I'm looking for another pilot job with around 500 hours total time. The problem I foresee happening is not finding a job for a few months, losing my flight currency, and just fall behind the competition since I can't afford paying for anymore flight time.

So, being new to the pilot employment scene, any advice to avoid this fate would be very appreciative. The business really put a hole in my pocket so money's tight, and after all the effort I put into flying I don't want to just give up. Please, any advice as to the best way to appeal to employers, keep up on flight hours and currency, or just places/reference to look at would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

lotsahueys
13th Apr 2010, 11:36
Do whatever you did to get your hours before you got your Instructor rating if possible / feasible.

:}

WikiRFM
13th Apr 2010, 17:49
Every year for the past few, there's been a career seminar in Vegas for helicopter pilots. Even though it's more geared toward the mid-career pilot, it's still helpful for the low time pilot. I've written a bit about it here: wikiRFM (http://wikirfm.cyclicandcollective.net/career/)

I'm sort of in the same situation: haven't flown an R22 in over a year now. If I got an interview tomorrow, I'd have to turn it down. Since you have your own business, have you looked at creative ways to use the helicopter? There's an outfit in Oregon that does 10-minute/$10 helicopter rides on Saturdays. Something along those lines might keep you current with minimum losses.

Gordy
13th Apr 2010, 18:49
Since you have your own business, have you looked at creative ways to use the helicopter?..........10-minute/$10 helicopter rides

The perfect way to create a tax loss...:)

carsickpuppy
15th Apr 2010, 16:17
I know a guy who uses his R22 for spots in his local "Crimestoppers" program, fliming crime scenes and such...probably doesn't pay much or at all, but it might be worth a shot to talk with your local law enforcement agencies.