PDA

View Full Version : Serious Ambilift Accident

passenger1000
12th Apr 2010, 20:28
Hi,
I am a passenger who witnessed a serious accident last Saturday and wonder if anyone has heard of anything similar. The vehicle used a tailgate lift from tarmac up to about 8ft. In the Ambilift cabin the wheelchair attendent stepped backwards while holding the wheelchair. The Ambilift door had been left open and the taillift had been lowered by the ground based operator. The attendent fell out dragging the wheelchair and occupant with him fortunately falling only about a metre onto the descending tailift so no one killed. But no fun for a wheelchair passenger expecting Special Assistance onto the plane.

It seems there is no fail safe to prevent the tail lift being lowered with the Ambilift door open. Has anyone heard of this ever happening before?

I find it hard to believe this is a first time accident for a system so dependent on only operator co-ordination.

Many thanks,

A very shocked passenger.

jerboy
12th Apr 2010, 23:48
This does sound a shocking incident, but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me that something like this has happened. I'm sure it won't be the first or last time...

Many ambulifts in use are as old as the hills and have very little in the way of safety features. Many aren't even purpose built: I've seen an adapted forklift truck used for example.

With ground handling contracts/budgets being slashed to a minimum there is little money left for investing in new, very expensive (this is a niche market) equipment. Sadly what is in use just has to do the job.

With the lack of failsafe features in place it falls to the operator(s) to be extremely vigilant and competent at using the equipment. This comes down to training... another area where budgets are cut to the bone.

Ambulifts are inherently unsafe in my opinion, however the risk always has to be balanced by the benefit. The only other option is manually carrying WCHS/WCHC pax up the stairs in the aisle chair, hardly a safe or desirable practice.

Mr Angry from Purley
13th Apr 2010, 17:56
passenger
One suspects that Elf and Safety will be onto the case in a big time. The Airport (if not the providers of the lift) and Airline will be very interested.
We can only assure you that this kind of unfortunate incident are looked into.
However, you could assure yourself by writing to them directly

call100
13th Apr 2010, 19:23
Sounds like the press on a fishing trip????????????????!!!!:eek:

passenger1000
13th Apr 2010, 20:03
If Only.

I understand that you may be suspicious of posting in this anonymous media.

Sadly this happened to a close and elderly relative who was outbound for their first trip outside the UK in almost 40 years. I am appauled at the lack of any basic, let alone sophisticated safety features, on the equipment and interrested to see if there is any accident pattern that can bring pressure to improve the abysmal quality of the equipment we experienced.

Smudger
13th Apr 2010, 20:07
Glad no-one was hurt but it's ambUlift and attendAnt.... christ

call100
14th Apr 2010, 18:44
OK...Let us know the airport....Systems are different at each..