PDA

View Full Version : Reality!?

Buffeting
18th Sep 2001, 10:45
I think I'm in a different situation to most of you, as I am currently still in high school. I have passed my Class One medical exam (Aussie) basically just to "see if I can get it." I have my Class One but with the condition: Vision Correction Required. I am currently short-sighted R: -1.00 L: -1.25 however I will most likely stabilise at about 2.5 according to doc.

My question is this: Realistically what are my chances of getting into the airlines? I am well aware that they say on their info that vision correction is ok, as long as it is correctable to 20/20 (or whatever it is now). However my pessimistic thoughts are: why would they take on a prospective pilot whose eye sight is only going to get worse?

If they have 2 applicants (one requiring correction, the other not) and they both have similar results from pysch tests etc, and they have to cull it down, will they say "thanks but no thanks" to the guy wearing glasses?

To put it frankly: Is it worth pursuing a career in Aviation as a proffesional pilot if you require visual correction?

Thanks, I just want to put it all into perspective!!

[ 19 September 2001: Message edited by: Buffeting ]

19th Sep 2001, 21:44
Because, after age 45 we all need our eyesight corrected anyway.... :D And if you look at some of the dolls our FO's hang out with; perhaps even long before that...? ;)

redsnail
25th Sep 2001, 02:08
Mate, if you passed your class one, no worries. Plenty of other things the airlines can bounce you on. Just wear your specs and you'll be fine.