PDA

View Full Version : Any Hi-Fi nerds out there..? Trying to connect head phones to tuner.

TowerDog
12th Apr 2010, 02:54
Simple really, but not so.

Got a recent model Samsung flat screen TV, Sony tuner and Comcast/Motorola cable box.

Boght a wireless headphone, but can't hook up.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser RS 180 Wireless headphones with docking station: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Wireless-headphones-docking-station/dp/B002SOW66W)

Can't find a headphone outlet on the tuner, cable box or TV..

Will call customer service for all these products when the weekdays roll around, but for now, if there is smarter folks than me out there..How do ya connect?

This is the tuner:

HT-SS360 | Home Theater System (5.1-channel) | Sony | Sony Style USA (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665793616#features)

This is the TV:

46" LCD TV LN46B630 46" 1080p LCD HDTV (2009 MODEL) - LCD TV - Televisions | SAMSUNG (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN46B630N1FUZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail)

This is the cable box:

DCH3416 All-Digital, HDTV, Dual-Tuner DVR, M-Card Host Set-top - Motorola USA (http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/TV+Video+Distribution/Customer+Premises+Equipment+(Set-tops)/All-Digital+QAM+Set-tops/DCH3416_US-EN)

All this should be really easy sh!t, but as usual, over-engineered and not user friendly.

(Yes, I tried the installation when I was sober..No cigar...:sad:)

So, do ya plug in the speaker outlets with pirate wires, or you modify an HDMI cable to fit your head phone jack or what...?:confused:

Bushfiva
12th Apr 2010, 03:16
Not knowing any of the kit, but assuming the Sony's connected via HDMI or optical SPDIF to the telly, I'd guess you'd have to connect the headset to the telly. Seems like the telly supports bluetooth headphones, incidentally.

I see a left and right audio out on two RCA jacks on the TV, item 9 on page 12 of your manual.

Loose rivets
12th Apr 2010, 03:31
I've just sent one of those Samsung T/Vs back for full compensation. (It was full compensation for a 50" Sony.) Well, actually, it was to replace the compensation one. See below.

The 46" was nice, until it was in a dark room with dark scenes...then it looked like someone was shining flashlights up from the corners. Funny thing is, I sent the first 46" back because it arrived from Sears in a smashed box. That one worked well. So, if it gets lights in the screen, knock it around a bit.:}

Sound:

I just pulled the sound from accessories plugs - RCA I think they're called here - that DID NOT control from the volume on the T.V. Absolute PITA. Had to turn the amp down or off for the ads. I could find no output that went up and down with the TV volume.

We watched a Hugh Grant Net flix tonight on a 24" monitor with 2" speakers. I've yet to address Bush's kind advice tonight on how to make the speakers work.;)

TowerDog
12th Apr 2010, 03:37
Seems like the telly supports bluetooth headphones, incidentally.

Well perhaps, but have not seem no Blue Tooth yet on my instructions.

I see a left and right audio out on two RCA jacks on the TV, item 9 on page 12 of your manual.

Well, perhaps, but need Audio output from Sony Tuner to Head phones, not from TV...TV speakers are disabled due to Surround Sound system. (The above Sony Something with woofers and sub-woofers and speakers this and that...Just trying to hook up headphones so I can watch the Science Channel while wife is sleeping..Pretty low tech and not asking for the moon here, the product engineers never considered real life I guess..? :sad:

(

Bushfiva
12th Apr 2010, 03:44
The logic was, there's one solitary HDMI output on the Sony, which I presume is going to the TV. You've got a headphones with a 1/8" analog audio cable with 1/4" and RCA adapters. You've got RCA analog audio jacks on the back of the TV. If the TV does sound passthrough, that's probably the place to connect your headphones.

TowerDog
12th Apr 2010, 03:47
The 46" was nice, until it was in a dark room with dark scenes...then it looked like someone was shining flashlights up from the corners. Funny thing is, I sent the first 46" back because it arrived from Sears in a smashed box.

Been happy with my 46" so far, got the B630 verison becuase it takes less glare from nearby windows or some such thing.

The TV is not the problem, but these expensive headphones ain't doing their job: Easy install and Plug and Play it said...Bullsh1t because there is nowhere to plug in except in the Cable Box RCA and there ya only get cable input at 10% volume/power and a bunch of static.

After I talk to the maker tomorrow, I will post the solution and it better be good, otherwise I will get a healthy refund in the mail and the Sennheiser folks will have to look at headphone outlets in stereo tuners to stay in business.
Not impressed so far...:sad:

The logic was, there's one solitary HDMI output on the Sony, which I presume is going to the TV.

Should be 3 HDMI if memory serves right...? :confused:

Loose rivets
12th Apr 2010, 03:52
re read the post, 3 outputs on the player I guess you mean?

From your link, it looks like I should have dealt with Amazon. Samsung demanded - despite both my wife and I giving a spirited argument why this should not be - that they had to have the set in NJ before the check would be issued. And this followed an e mail that said the check had been posted a week before.

More and more 'electronics' will be sold from the net. I have never, ever, had to deal with the madness the likes of Sears. Just calling them was like trying to get in touch with the dead, and it went on for months. Their head office recently sent me separate compensation, cos they were sorry for being annoying. I can only spend that in their stores - having sworn I'd never set foot in the building again. I'll sneak in one day and buy something frivolous. :p

Bushfiva
12th Apr 2010, 04:03
Well I dunno Towerdog, it's your kit. You could look on the back of it, I presume. You could already have plugged the headphones in by now to discover whether sound comes out. Sony says you've got 3 HDMI in, one HDMI out.

Loose rivets
12th Apr 2010, 04:21
Although it's not the main issue, in an attempt to get back into the modern world, I've just read Wikki on HDMI. It was a 20 min read, with a plethora of references.

I can see why people get confused with interfacing kit, but as a T/V C&Guilds kid of the 50s, what I can't see is how so much of this stuff can be connected together without it smoking.

TowerDog
12th Apr 2010, 04:26
You could already have plugged the headphones in by now to discover whether sound comes out. Sony says you've got 3 HDMI in, one HDMI out.

Aye, all correct Mr. Bush.

Lots of HDMI input and such, but headphones does not carry no HDMI, otherwise I would have been in business 24 hours ago..:)

Next...

Bushfiva
12th Apr 2010, 04:41
re-read #5.

Senior Pilot
12th Apr 2010, 05:12
Ideally, you should connect audio out for your headphones to the Sony HTS: it is, after all, the 'central processor' for whatever audio you have selected to the screen.

Unfortunately your Sony hasn't got compatible output for any headphone system, be it Sennheiser or whoever. I had a mate with an identical problem, the only way that I could hook up his wireless headphones (Philips) was to the flatscreen, so he could only get sound through headphones and speakers from the TV tuner.

To get BluRay or other sound output he has to plug into the front headphone socket of the HTS, which then knocks out the speakers. I suspect that your choice of Sony HTS is the culprit, not the headphones.

FWIW, I have a Bose which allows an audio output in parallel with the speakers, allowing me to listen through wireless headphones while SWMBO has the speakers at her level. Happy wife, etc ;)

TowerDog
12th Apr 2010, 17:04
I suspect that your choice of Sony HTS is the culprit, not the headphones.

Yeah, the head phones work fine, the problem is that I can't connect.
As for choice of Sony HTS, yeah I bought the box a few months ago thinking it would be complete for my use including headphones, it did not occur to me to check. (When I buy a car I assume it comes with seatbelts, no need to ask the question.....)

re-read #5.

Yup, re-read # 5 and plugged in the phones to every RCA outlet on the TV, no cigar. (I assume the HDMI cable disables all the other in/out ports)

Left a a message with the Tech Support folks over at Sennheiser..No call back yet.

My only choice I guess, would be to cut of the plugs and hook up the bare wires from the headphone transmitter to one set of speaker wires on the Sony...??? :sad:

mad_jock
12th Apr 2010, 19:48
Personally

I would play the DVD on my laptop which has a fibre optic out and HDMI out. Take the fiber optic and HDMI output from the laptop into the Amp then plug your headset into the audio jack of the laptop.

The problem you have got is combining 6 channels into 2 which requires some form of Digital proccessing. Even pumping it through the laptop you might see/hear a bit of lag.

Senior Pilot
12th Apr 2010, 20:51
Left a a message with the Tech Support folks over at Sennheiser..No call back yet.

Maybe you should be calling Sony? Their HTS is (IMO) the problem, not the headphones.

Sprogget
12th Apr 2010, 21:56
Mad Jock is right, the optical out is the key. Perfect example of read first, buy second.

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 11:35
I would play the DVD on my laptop which has a fibre optic out and HDMI out. Take the fiber optic and HDMI output from the laptop into the Amp then plug your headset into the audio jack of the laptop.

Sorry, now I am really confused...What has a laptop and fibre optic to do with connecting a headphone to a stereo....:confused:

Mad Jock is right, the optical out is the key. Perfect example of read first, buy second.

Read first, buy second...?

Hmm, I read the description on the Sennheiser headphones before I hit the "buy" button: "Easy installation, Plug and Play" and with a modern stereo tuner from a reputable company I had no doubt the installation would be as described.

At any rate, that is water under the bridge right now.
MY only choice seems to be a compromise: Cutting off the plugs from the headphone transmitter and hook up to one of the speaker outlets...:sad:

Whcih speaker: Got 5 or 6 of them with sub-woofer, center, left right and aft left and right...Or all of them?

Any ideas...?

(Needless to say, I don't much about stereos and all that except turning on and off)

Maybe you should be calling Sony? Their HTS is (IMO) the problem, not the headphones.

Yeah, will give them a call as well, but not holding by breath as for actually being able to talk to a real person who can help.

Senior Pilot
13th Apr 2010, 12:53
ps Don't even think of splicing in to your speaker cables :=

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 13:10
No don't do that you will stuff up the impedences of the speakers and you might blow the amp.

Anyway you will only get one channel of the sound if you do that.

Dolby 5.1 is 6 channels of digital information. These are all squirted seperately through the amp to the approprate speaker.

The issue with home cinema setups is that by design they don't use the telly's speakers so they don't actually have any sound information on the HDMI cable only visual.

Some amps have an optical out. This allows digital 5.1 sound to be transfered to another device. Your one appears not to have an out but does have an in.

YOu need some way of getting to that digital 5.1 information your amp won't let you do it, it has virtually no outputs apart from a HDMI and analog speaker connections. A laptop will process the 6 signals and convert it into a 2 signal suitable for your headset. But you want the amp to also get the 5.1 signals so the home cinema system will give you surround sound. It relatively easy with a laptop to configure it so it will pump out the 5.1 through its optical out while playing the visual on the HDMI. So if you pump them both into your amp you get the cinema effect. Now you headset needs a 2 signal input which you can get from the laptop headset jack.

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 14:20
A laptop will process the 6 signals and convert it into a 2 signal suitable for your headset. But you want the amp to also get the 5.1 signals so the home cinema system will give you surround sound. It relatively easy with a laptop to configure it so it will pump out the 5.1 through its optical out while playing the visual on the HDMI.

So, uh does this mean I need to have a laptop permanently wired to the system so as to use the headphones...?

In my case that would not be practical...:{

I don't really need hi-fi 5.1 sound in the headphones so to cut my losses I am thinking about splicing the 2 RCA wires to the one of the speakers: Which speaker would be best....? (Of the least bad)

ps Don't even think of splicing in to your speaker cables

Why not....?

I tried to touch the 2 RCA plugs to 2 of the speaker wires and it sounded ok..

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 14:45
The amp and the speakers are impendence matched otherwise it plays havok.
You can get away with it for short periods but it will eventually kill it.

The amp will overheat and possibly burn out one channel.

You can never get 5.1 sound in your headphones because that requires 6 speakers.

With your current kit I really don't think you will have much joy.

You could get another HD DVD player with an optical out but make sure it also has normal HiFi L and R outputs as well. Then feed the optical into the amp along with the HDMI cable then HDMI cable to telly. The Headset would then take its sound source from the L R outputs I think, but you will have to research and make sure the DVD player can actually process down to 2 channels while playing a D5.1 sound track and output to the optical the 5.1 signals at the same time.

The only other thing you could do is to get a hearing enhancer which is basically a microphone and amplifier and you can plug a headset into it. But it picks up all noise in the room. My grandad had one 15 years ago for watching telly. But the major draw back he found was it not only amplified the telly but also my granny nagging him.

Right just had a quick search on the web and there is a heap of stuff to help you out with all manner of microphones to stick on speakers and feed into your base unit. Seems there is quite a market for it. The thing you are looking for is a TV condensor microphone.

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 15:02
You can never get 5.1 sound in your headphones because that requires 6 speakers.

Yeah, not looking for 5.1 sound in the headphones, just basic TV sound.

My grandad had one 15 years ago for watching telly. But the major draw back he found was it not only amplified the telly but also my granny nagging him.

Hmm, I can see the problem as I have a similar nagging problem in the house and don't need it amplified...:ooh:

With your current kit I really don't think you will have much joy.

Soo, no way to do this without a laptop...?
What program does the laptop need to convert and filter the signals?

As a final solutionL:

Does anybody want to buy a pair of headphones, never used...? :E

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 15:25
Sorry edited the last post while you were posting

You need a TV condensing Microphone which plugs into your base unit and attaches to your telly speakers for normal viewing. It didn't specifically say it but I presume this is a nag free option.

The surround sound stuff might be a bit of an issue but I am sure you can have another microphone on a long lead sitting next to you going to the base unit. But this will leave you open to being abused by grandkids and nagging.

For example

Partfinder > MKE 800-TV (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_part-finder_microphones_004995)

Looking at the outputs of you HDTV reciever you do have audio out

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Business/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/Set-tops/QAM%20Set-tops/All%20Digital%20QAM%20Set-tops/DCH3416/_Documents/Static%20Files/Updated%20DCH3416%20Data%20Sheet.pdf?localeId=33

Thats the red and white one bottom left two in the bank of six co-axial. You can get an adapter which will take these to and put it into a 3.5 mm jack which will then plug into your base station. If you do that you won't need the telly mic.

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 15:55
Hmm, the Sony tuner came with a microphone for adjusting the surround sound, and has a plug in for it...Wonder if that one will work..?

Sony Audio Calibration Microphone (ECM-AC2

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!BpfSfMQBWk~$(KGrHqYOKkQEu,nHsYE4BLrnPFweyQ~~_35.JPG

As for the Condensing Mic, you said to plug into Telly speakers..?
The built in TV speakers, and how to plug in to them?
Or you mean the 5 surrounding speakers..?

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 16:40
that will do for the nagging mic

And i believe if you can be bothered the other ones velco onto the outside of the telly speakers or something.

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 17:05
Uh, still confused: Using the mike to transfer sound to the headphone transmitter will defeat the purpose....?

The objective with the headphones are to keep it quiet in the house and not wake up the sleeping one. (Me if I have to fly at night, then wifey keeps the house quiet by NOT turning on the TV or stereo...Or use headphones instead of external speakers..)

So, to get the headphones to work, I have to leave speakers turned up? :sad:

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 17:42
Sorry I thought you were an old fart and stone deaf, rereading you are trying to limit the nagging by waking your Mrs up.

You have that audio out on the telly reciever which you can get a "y"cable that will take the left and right into a male 3.5 jack which will go into your base station. So that will be your discovery sorted for $4 and a trip to wallmart.

The playing a DVD is going to be an issue though. Personally for that I would get a $30 Wallmart DVD player which does have an audio out on it and use that when required (you can use the same y cable).

Actually do you have a xbox or other games box?. They in my experence are pretty good quality for playing DVD's have HDMI output and usually a range of audio output. Use that instead if you want to watch a DVD.

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 18:06
Sorry I thought you were an old fart and stone deaf, rereading you are trying to limit the nagging by waking your Mrs up.

Well, I am rapidly turning old fart, no doubt, but not deaf yet.

I fly to Europe and South Ameria quite a bit at night: Trying to sleep during the day, but TVs and radio in the house makes it hard to sleep.
(My hearing is too good I s'pose)

So, I bought these headphones recently so one person could watch TV without walking the other...But unable to plug in or connect.

No need for a cheap DVD or CD player or game box, the purpose is not so much playing music, but rather watching the news on TV, or the occasional DVD movie.

I had expected a seamless Plug and Play as advertised, but Nothing in life is simple is it...?

Looks like my only option is to get a new Tuner with a headphone outlet.
(Guess you chaps call the Tuner an amp..As in Amplifier?)

Or another option is to sell this headphone on ebay...

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 18:13
Uh, rereading the post I found this little nugget:

You have that audio out on the telly reciever which you can get a "y"cable that will take the left and right into a male 3.5 jack which will go into your base station. So that will be your discovery sorted for $4 and a trip to wallmart.

I already have Y cable and I have tried to connect to the Cable receiver box, (For lack of a better word, I think they also call it a DVR...?)

I get some sound out of the box, but very muted and with quite a bit of constant static, not sure why, but the resulting sound quality in the headphones are not acceptable for human consumption.

I concluded that it would be better to go after the Tuner itself, but of course found no outlet and that is when I initiated this thread.:cool:

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 18:33
I would say ****e wires that are not shielded.

And also move the base station away from any other electrical stuff.

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 19:35
And also move the base station away from any other electrical stuff. QUOTE]

This is the location of all the stuff we have been talking about:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachments/gallery/3/0/8/dsc03715_189137.jpg

[QUOTE]I would say ****e wires that are not shielded.

Sooo, could that be the problem?
The wires I am using came with the headphones, have not been to Walmart yet..:=

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 19:53
H'mm Interesting

If you take the output from the L/R and put it into the amp L/R input do you get the same static?

You method is correct!

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 20:00
If you take the output from the L/R and put it into the amp L/R input do you get the same static?

Hmm, I tried that but get nothing at all.

I have tried the RCA plugs into any and all RCA Red/White opening on the TV, amp (tuner) and the cable box/DVR,..No results except as described above with a weak signal with static on the DVR..This has led me to belive the RCA outputs are disabled with the HDMI connectors plugged in.

I have 3 HDMI cables connecting the entire system as seen in the picture except the headphones.

Have still not heard back from the maker, and doubt I will.

(Sennheiser, not the almighty:))

mad_jock
13th Apr 2010, 20:18
Try pulling the HDMI cable then and see if the sound works.

If it does use a Y/Pb/Pr cable to HMDI cable when you want the Headset swap the sound red and whites or get a switch box.

Or get an optical cable to connect through to your amp and turn the sound off

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 20:51
Okay, let me digest that...

Need simple operation here, no fancy stuff just to use headset, only turn volume down on tuner.., then up on headset...Pilot-proof.:cool:

TowerDog
13th Apr 2010, 21:05
Or get an optical cable to connect through to your amp and turn the sound off

Is that with a laptop also hooked up....?

If it does use a Y/Pb/Pr cable to HMDI cable when you want the Headset swap the sound red and whites or get a switch box.

Mhh, switch box sounds better than swapping cables when I want to fire up the headset: A royal pain in the behind to pull them boxes out to do any cable work on the back side. Not an option..:sad:

mad_jock
14th Apr 2010, 06:25
Nah the optical cable will connect straight to the amp no laptop required.

Your going to have to read your manuals but i suspect if you use the optical cable you will be able to just leave the headset plugged in if it works with the other type of hdmi cable. The cables stay plugged in.

TowerDog
14th Apr 2010, 22:15
Nah the optical cable will connect straight to the amp no laptop required.

So, uh would that be an optical cable with an HDMI in one end and the plug for headphone transmitter in the other end?

Can one buy such a cable in the nearest "Radio Shack" store, or must it be made..?

Sorry for more questions, but I'l trade..Ask anything about sailboats or airplanes and I may be able to help..:ok:

mad_jock
15th Apr 2010, 09:02
No you get made cables with Y/Pb/Pr co-axial connections for the vid and then the sound L/R cables. This then feeds into a HDMI connector on the other end.

The optical connection is just a fibre optic cable. You connect that from your optical out on your cable box to the in on your amp. The Y/Pb/Pr cable gets connected to the ports on the cable box and the HDNI connector connected to your amp HDMI input. The headphone Y cable gets connected to the L/R co-axial ports on the cable box.

This means that the amp will get the sound from the cable box via the fibre optic and the headset will get it via the L/R port. After you have set it up you shouldn't have to fiddle with the cables.

TowerDog
20th Apr 2010, 08:14
Okay and thanks for the help.

I have almost got it working good now and in contact with the tech rep from Senheisser.

mad_jock
20th Apr 2010, 09:24
For the experence base can you feedback what the solution actually is please.