PDA

View Full Version : Boots and gloves for flying: merged threads

clearleft
20th Jun 2003, 17:44
Is it possible to get Nomex (or other fire resistant) gloves which are shorter than your normal half way up the arm style.

Thanks in advance.

Obs cop
20th Jun 2003, 20:03
Have you considered nomex gloves as used in motorsports.

Prices vary around £25 to £50, most are fire resistant, but the colour schemes are not the best;)

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

Obs cop

PS, you expecting trouble? :eek:

Crashondeck
21st Jun 2003, 03:43
I got some leather flying gloves from Transair a whlie back. Try www.transair.co.uk (I think that's correct if not do an internet search for transair in the UK).

handyandyuk
21st Jun 2003, 05:12
I fly wearing the usual Gloves, Flying, Summer (Nomex) and although the 'guantlet' type length has the advantage of protecting the lower forearm, I tend to just concertina them down to wrist length.
Surely if you find them annoying at full length you could find just cut them back and sew a hem along the cut edge?

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jun 2003, 06:33
The "gauntlet style" gloves in regular use are the RAF leather ones, or the USAF Nomex ones.

Personally I use Luftwaffe gloves, which are very short and grey - also slightly thicker than the other two options which since I tend to fly draughty cockpits suit me well. I picked them up at a trade show, probably the Telford sport aviation show but I think there are often people selling such "slightly used" kit at most similar shows.

I also have a superb pair of thinnish thermal gloves from a motorcycle shop I use for open cockpit flying, and a very thick warm but cumbersome pair from a similar source that I give pax in twin-stick aeroplanes to stop them fiddling with anything.

Short Nomex gloves - no idea, the Luftwaffe gloves are leather.

G

fu 24 950
22nd Jun 2003, 21:33
Nomex gloves,, Try www. flightsuits.com

B Sousa
22nd Jun 2003, 23:46
Fu beat me to the punch www.flightsuits.com. Get the normal ones and just have someone who sews, cut them down to size. Easier than all the work of finding expensive one. Make sure they use nomex thread.

GLSNightPilot
23rd Jun 2003, 03:36
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. If you're going to go to the trouble & expense of wearing Nomex gloves, why would you want to then reduce the protection? The normal Nomex gloves are long for a reason - to provide adequate protection, & not leave bare flesh to be burned.

B Sousa
23rd Jun 2003, 11:11
GLS, where have you been. Its not how good you fly...Its how good you look....Have you forgotten the days of Big Watch, Corvette and a H..........whatever

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jun 2003, 14:51
Can't speak for anybody else, but for that purpose personally I wear something called "sleeves".

G

GLSNightPilot
24th Jun 2003, 01:34
Sadly, I'm now too old & decrepit to attract the young lovelies. I go for function, not style. And as for sleeves, they leave quite a gap around the wrists if you wear short gloves. The length of the 'gauntlet' part protects the area below the sleeves.

Personally, I don't wear gloves, & neither do most of my compatriots. I only know of a couple of pilots who wear them. They don't do a whole lot of good when wearing short-sleeved shirts, which are the norm here. I'd wear shorts if I could, but there's just no way I could stand to look at most of the pilots I know if they wore shorts. Me, I look mah-vellous in shorts! Absolutely great legs! :ok: But the rest, oh, no!! :yuk:

:D :D :}

Mstern1908
25th Jun 2003, 05:37
try any police supply house or catalog. they sell short style gloves in nomex, leather and other materials that are good for flying. Blackhawk, Botach are 2 of the larger houses.

skidsup
28th Jun 2003, 02:09
Why don't you just roll them down? :ooh:

SASless
28th Jun 2003, 05:30
Bert.....at GLS's advanced age....lucky he is flying a two pilot aircraft or he would not know which seat to get into. As to the other.....if he had a big watch now....all he could do is wind it. Time can be so evil!

GLSNightPilot
28th Jun 2003, 11:26
Yes, I'm certainly getting older, but it beats the alternative by a long shot. :ok:

BigMike
20th Jun 2006, 13:20
Anyone know a supplier of some good quailty US spec nomex gloves? I'm looking for a new pair, possibly more.
They are all made to the same spec, but it is hard to find a decent pair ( ie, leather of a decent quality and not too thick, decent stitching etc)

Cheers BigMike

HOGE
20th Jun 2006, 14:08
I get mine from a military surplus place in Norwich. Failing that, try Ebay.

SASless
20th Jun 2006, 14:19
Big Mike,

Have you ever worn a pair of Brit Military leather gloves? Beats the heck out of Uncle Sugar's Nomex and leather things. The RAF leather gloves are very much like the USAF leather gloves that were issued prior to the Nomex and leather things.

Wings in Daleville, Alabama are a good source for the nomex or US Cavalry through their website.

HillerBee
20th Jun 2006, 15:51
Look on Ebay for:

Hatch HGBNG210-M Nomex Flight Gloves

There are definitely a lot of differences in the leather. Hatch has a very nice soft quality.

Hillerbee

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jun 2006, 16:39
http://www.transair.co.uk/Category.asp?SID=1&Category_ID=539

G

mavila02
20th Jun 2006, 23:27
www.rotorparts.com

MCA
21st Jun 2006, 00:57
Hey Mike, are you sure you want to come and fly in Canada…. Your nice new flying gloves would get dirty lifting barrels

BigMike
21st Jun 2006, 05:52
Thats what they are most usefull for ;)
Thanks for the replies. The gloves from Hatch look like they could be the go.

SASless, I think you would get too many "doorman" jokes with the Brit gloves! I think being full leather they would be hotter duing summer?

Cheers BM

What Limits
21st Jun 2006, 07:04
I have been using Bennett Safetywear gloves for the past year and they are very soft and comfortable. They are a copy of the US style leather/nomex style available in various colours.

Just google for their website - the gloves cost around GB £ 30.

TwinHueyMan
21st Jun 2006, 13:26
Look into the Hatch "Operator" line of gloves:

http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/hatchoperator.shtml

I got a pair of these tasty items about 4 months ago, and my god... I'm never going back to the standard ole uncle-sam issue ****e! The fingular feel out of the operators is so much better than the standard ones, its amazing... they feel thinner, fit better, and are more flexible... plus the little puff cuff keeps your wrist cooler and works super well when wearing a watch underneath (or pulling the glove foreward to see the watch). The leather on the palms is leaps and bounds ahead of the **** on the standard gloves.... Plus, its got the nifty little knuckle pad, very useful in protecting ones hands during a quick backhand to a passenger.

I think they're kevlar, not nomex, but 800 degrees F is plenty for me.

Definately give these things a shot... like I said, I'm a total convert.

-Mike

B Sousa
21st Jun 2006, 13:31
www.flightsuits.com

notnoz
22nd Jun 2006, 00:14
Big M,

lf you are going to canada to work then try just about any army surplus store over there. Genuine nomex gloves about half the price of anywhere else. Quite often they won't charge you gst if you flash a flight crew licence!

BlenderPilot
22nd Jun 2006, 01:50
Go here, trust me:

http://www.copquest.com/12%2D1500.htm

cloudspotter
24th Jun 2006, 12:15
Try helicoptersonly.com.

Fast service and good prices.

aeromys
24th Jun 2006, 15:45
We use the Bennets Safetywear ones too, can heartily recommend them :ok:

http://www.bennettsafetywear.co.uk/products/hand/index.php

Helikopter
11th Oct 2006, 22:34
I´m flying in Northern Europe and I have been looking for Nomex Flight Gloves.

Any advise ? What brand and so on ?

HOGE
11th Oct 2006, 23:43
Try here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SC-ARMY-SURPLUS-SUPERSTORE

aeromys
12th Oct 2006, 09:13
Or here

http://www.bennettsafetywear.co.uk/index.php

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Oct 2006, 10:53
aeromys - thankyou very much for that link. I've been trying to find some replacement immersion gloves ever since the current pair overdosed on JetA1 a while ago.

Now, does anyone know whether the old flying gauntlets with the adjustable strap (I was told they were primarily for high-altitude eg PR9 ops) can be found anywhere?

Focha
11th Apr 2010, 18:35
Hi there,

I am searching for some good, comfortable and safe flying boots and gloves, does anyone have any experience to share?

Thank you.

Best regards.

hueyracer
11th Apr 2010, 18:52
Sometimes i use the original Nomex Flying Gloves, issued by the army..

You can find them on ebay also-for app. 12-15 euro...

Boots:
Depends on where you are flying...
Winter?
Summer?
Or both....?

Europe?
Asia?
Africa?
Cold, snowy or icy regions?
Hot, desert and sandy regions?

500e
11th Apr 2010, 19:09
There was a discussion some time ago cant find it though :ugh:

Trans Lift
11th Apr 2010, 19:54
Army style nomex gloves and Magnum boots!

zlocko2002
11th Apr 2010, 19:58
I am useing regular nomex flight gloves for flying and they are ok (for mi-8/17) but they were not suitable for bell-206

imabell
11th Apr 2010, 22:18
so the 206's thought you were a bit rough on them, they like the velvet touch, unlike those ruskys, they like it a bit rough.:O

Focha
11th Apr 2010, 22:52
@ 500e - Neither can I find it. Sorry...

@ hueyracer - Both seasons in Southwestern Europe.

@ zlocko2002 - What you define as regular Nomex gloves, are those Nomex flying gloves issued to USAF? And why you say that they are not good to fly 206?

@ Trans Lift - Isn't the sole of those Magnum boots a little bit hard? Don't you had and have problems feeling the pressure you apply on the pedals?

Thank you guys for the help.

Regards.

Edit: Sorry just when I finished posting this I found that the topic I created was merged with the first. Thank you admin.

norunway
11th Apr 2010, 23:29
Lowa mountain boots expensive but last for years and very comfortable.
Winchop leather gloves as issued to the Raf/RN.

John Eacott
11th Apr 2010, 23:49
Focha,

I've used the standard US Military nomex gloves for many years, the old ones get recycled to the 'dirty' jobs ;)

Steel Blue (http://www.steelblue.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=56) Portland boots are excellent, I've had my current pair for about 6 years and the soles are just getting to the stage of needing replacement. Oil & acid resistant soles, comfortable high lacing system, but if you have skinny shins don't bother with the zip attachment :p

My "Portland" boots are soft toe, but they do offer steel toe caps as well. Make sure you get the option that you want.

chcoffshore
12th Apr 2010, 07:44
Fly in whatever shoes, boots or high heels that you feel comfortable in, just make sure they are one size bigger if you have to wear a immersion suit at any time. And when my hands and feet get cold I turn then heater on!:p

John Eacott
12th Apr 2010, 08:03
Fly in whatever shoes, boots or high heels that you feel comfortable in

I'll take that with a pinch of salt :hmm:

Part of your preparation for flight should always be consideration of whether you are properly clothed & equipped. There is no point in flying over hostile terrain in moccies or Chinese safety boots, or any location where a forced landing is going to commit you to a long walk out :=

zlocko2002
12th Apr 2010, 08:40
It was hard to pull out circuit breaker on Bell 206 with gloves (USAF nomex), on Mi-8/17 you might cut your finger without ones :} (nevertheless I would never change Mi-8/17 for B206 :ok: )
Any descent light boot is OK for me, experience teaches me not to fly in shoes (especially if you fly in mountains :ouch:).

waragee
12th Apr 2010, 20:12
I use deerskin roping gloves, nice and short, see your watch no problem, worth about $40.00 bucks and available at any stockmans outfitters / Bush town menswear shop, will last about 2 years doing 1000 per annum in the heat and sweat and as fireproof as can be

BigMike
13th Apr 2010, 02:18
Boots? Meindl Island Pro's. Had them about 8 years. Great walking, hunting boot, and fairly warm in the cold. Expensive, but hard to beat, although I am wearing some light Soloman's at the moment in the tropics, and they are working out pretty good so far.

topendtorque
13th Apr 2010, 11:39
Back in the deep dark days of the BTEC days (TB and brusco eradication program), there was a move for the stock inspectors to be rugged up with protective gear, seeing as how the pilots mostly wore it.

Advice was sought.

Out came the purchase orders from the government, by the dozen, SPH4's, Nomex blue overalls, nomex green gloves, and ---- drum roll--- Redwing boots.

The Stockies thought it hilarious, so did we, in the guvm't's ignorance.

That didna' stop one laddie from still getting about in his jocks, (marlboro packet and lighter tucked in the waistband, Japanese riding boots on his feet, and SPF4 on his noggin.

What a sight.

It was most amusing that whenever his helicopter approached an outstation with a young wife who would have been prepped to supply lamingtons and tea, that he would demand to be landed a little way off to attire himself with the King Kong clobber.