PDA

View Full Version : Different lenght of ATPL Ground School

fabbe92
11th Apr 2010, 13:49
Hello, I am wondering a bit of the different structurs that schools offer when it comes to the ground school. By looking into schools in the UK and other parts of Europe I have discovered that the schools that I am interested in, offers the following options.

OAA offers 21 weeks classroom and 3 weeks leave split up into 3 parts.

Other schools offer 26-27 weeks split into 3 parts as well.

And a few schools offer 32 weeks split into 2 parts.

So I wonder wich option is the best. One wants to get a good pass rate above 80% preferably and understand everything. It may seem a little bit rushed to lear 14 subjects and get a good pass rate in just 21 weeks at Oxford. And secondly, wich seems to be the best structure, split the sjubjects into 2 parts or 3 parts? The UK schools I´m talking about are OAA, BCFT, Cabair.

If anyone have some experience and advice I would appreciate it.

potkettleblack
12th Apr 2010, 10:19
Can of worms....Each school will say that their format is best. In reality you are splitting hairs. The subject matter covered is so diverse that there will never be a perfect coupling of subjects.

Go with the cheapest (consider availability and price of accommodation as well) and hit the online question banks such as Bristol.

But do you really want a residential course or could you instead do distance learning via someone like Bristol?

fabbe92
12th Apr 2010, 11:19
Residential is the best option for me.

SVENSK
13th Apr 2010, 13:26
Fabbe, have you looked into SAA ground ATPL course or flygteoriskolan?

SVENSK! :ok:

SweetChariotXV
13th Apr 2010, 16:14
I did my ground school at BCFT. I found the ground school split into 2 stages worked well for me. I came out with all first time passes with average mark in the high 90's.

Everyone is different though so suggest you personally visit the schools yourself to see which one you feel is best for you. When you're spending that kind of money it would be silly not to check out the schools first!

Lastly one thing to consider is, if you are doing a course split into 3 stages, that is an extra sitting you are using up for your exams from the outset. As you are only allowed a limited number of sittings (something like 6 sittings if I remember correctly?) to pass all 14 exams, it could come back to bite you if you struggle on some subjects and you need to resit them.

toeyshear
13th Apr 2010, 20:35
Do it distance learning is my advice Saves time and while you are studying for the exams and preparing yourself you can be out earning and making money while you learn at some one like Bristol Groundschool they help and there Question bank is great.

By the way why do you need high marks my old instructor said if you get anymore than 75% you over worked and it all that extra hard study was to waste.

He was right as i have never be asked what was my average pass mark was on my theory was you will soon get found out if you don't know anything when you get interveiwed .

I never even put it on my CV.

That is my view

fabbe92
13th Apr 2010, 20:43
Ehhh overstudy?!! If you get high markes that means you understand the subject well, it is satisfactory for myself, it looks good on my CV and the most important thing of all, I want to know the subjects by heart when I fly because aviation is about safety,safety and safety. It´s not secondary school where you can do fine with 75%

And you allso need 80% minimum to be able to contine your training with OAA.

Whirlygig
13th Apr 2010, 20:59
Do they have ironic jokes in Sweden? :}

And there are other schools than OAA.

Cheers

Whirls