PDA

View Full Version : Unhelpful Google Maps problem

Blues&twos
11th Apr 2010, 11:48
Right, I've given up. Here's the problem....

Someone has labelled our house on Google maps as a local pub. The pub is over a mile away.

I've tried Google Maps help which tells me to click on the place marker and then click "Report a problem" (and various other methods of getting to "Report a problem"). Unfortunately, despite creating an account, logging in etc etc, the "Report a problem" option is either greyed out or non-existent. There is no clickable link I can find anywhere on Google maps to send them an email. Their help page is full of information about what to do, none of it works.

What am I doing wrong?? :ugh:

Bushfiva
11th Apr 2010, 12:03
On the offchance, can you try a different browser or deselect ad blocking, etc.? The Google reporting mechanism worked fine for me the last time I needed it. The options are greyed out for some countries, though. Are you outside Europe or the US?

green granite
11th Apr 2010, 12:59
As a matter of interest is that the only error locally? The reason I ask is that in my local area a lot of things such as pubs petrol stations etc. were displaced by about 1/3 of a mile northward, it appears that the entries were taken from some sort of business directory who's location data base used a different base ref to that of Google.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Apr 2010, 14:11
Some of the map markers are not manually placed on the actual location but geocoded from the postcode. In a densly populated area this can get you many yards wrong, typically putting the marker on the wrong side of the road; "over a mile" sounds unlikely, though, unless there are only a handful of houses between you and the pub and you share the same postcode.

Why do you care, anyway? Do you get people knocking at your door asking for a pint?

Blues&twos
11th Apr 2010, 19:53
Thanks for the replies!

I'm in the UK and yes, our house is the only one for about a mile (we're out in the sticks) and we're next to a public footpath frequented by thirsty ramblers. The pub is actually just over a mile away in the nearest village!

I've just this minute had an email from Google, so maybe once I've read it, it'll all be sorted out....hmmmm.

EDIT: Nope, no good, still can't 'report a problem' (greyed out). I think I'll give up. Or maybe I could make some money flogging cans of lager...there's an idea!
:ok: