PDA

View Full Version : 737 Off The Runway Kenya

vortex007
11th Apr 2010, 09:51
Rumuor has is that a 737 went off the runway at jomo and apparantelly the hull got seriously stressed.. according to the story it happened a week or so ago.. any one with more details?

Phobos2
12th Apr 2010, 09:35
Kq owned B733...it actually happened in march,

Thursday March 18, 2010
Kenya Airways Statement
Kenya Airways would like to inform its passengers, customers, investors and the public
that KQ446, a Boeing 737-300 flight from Bujumbura to Nairobi Kenya made a
suspected hard landing on touch down at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport at
0445 hours local time this morning.
There were 59 passengers and 6 crew members on-board the aircraft. There were no
reported injuries. All the passengers and crew left the aircraft and proceeded to the
airport terminal in the normal way.
The company has launched investigations into the incident. It has also reported the
incident to the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA). The aircraft has been taken into
the hangar for checks in line with the company’s strict safety regulations.

copy-paste:hmm:

Spadhampton
12th Apr 2010, 10:57
Boing....Boing....

Good old Boeing. Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.:)

jetpet
12th Apr 2010, 19:37
The Chief pilot is well pissed off with the crew, they landed hard in quite some dense fog, got off the runway, recovered and taxied to the parking, the aircraft had some flat tires and suspected structural damage..from a 4G landing....now the killer...the crew said nothing and went off home...:=

KQ= keep quiet :oh::oh:

SloppyJoe
12th Apr 2010, 20:34
so it was an autoland? As quite dense fog. Amazing no one reported the landing.

9-er
13th Apr 2010, 05:06
It isn't the first time KQ has had such an incident. The same thing happened to a 777 landing in early morning fog a couple of years ago and an A310 several years back. Luckily nobody got hurt. In both cases, the crews said nothing and went home.

ZS-PGP
23rd Jun 2010, 13:15
Got the news of it same day it happened, a close pilot friend of mine was among the pax. But just out of curiosity, is it true that KQ encourage it's pilots to make hard positive landings:ugh:. Well, I might be wrong here but am also for the idea, that is if we look at it this way; a greaser (smooth landing) means you have to float longer in the flare (just before touchdown), meaning you are more likely to overshoot the earliest exist taxiway for vacating >>STANDBY>> in other words;

smooth landing=longer landing distance required=missed taxiway=prolonged taxi to gates=extra fuel needed=reduced ramp weight=less pax=less profit.
:ok:

I stand to be corrected!

Jetjock330
24th Jun 2010, 00:37
This is nonsense. A soft landing doesn't require long flare. A firm landing is prefered in wet weather to break the surface, for the tyre to have better traction for breaking. Other than that, a dry day at the right speed and correct flare attitude at the precise correct time makes a soft landing, provided it contact with a runway and usually in the same direction as a runway!:}

B777Heavy
24th Jun 2010, 19:02
ZS-PGP, What nonsense....you can actually have a nice smooth touchdown and land on the markers.

ever heard of performance and theory of flight ?

atpcliff
28th Jun 2010, 23:39
Hi!

I prefer a firm touchdown to an unsafe one.

I once heard a Capt compliment an FO for a llanding with a very smooth touchdown...about 5000-5500' down the runway, WELL out of the touchdown zone. NOT very nice!

cliff
LFW

ras niyabinghi
16th Jul 2010, 07:44
does any one know what happened to the crew of this flight and has there been any official report as of what happened:confused: