PDA

View Full Version : Qantas does it again.....new staff travel cat. for managers instead of pay rise

peanut pusher
11th Apr 2010, 06:24
Qantas has again disengaged its core staff by making a new staff travel category for middle managers and contractors. Approx. 1000 middle management and contractors have had a new staff travel category created instead of a pay rise this year.
This travel cat. sits well above any existing one and now gives them on load priority over 90% of staff.
Last week I personally seen a manager and family members with 2 years service on loaded over a a guy with 35 years from engineering in Bangkok.
The pay rise will come when the good times return but the category will stay and again disengage its staff.
Alan son of Dirty Dixon !!!!

rmcdonal
11th Apr 2010, 06:28
1Year SO beats a 35Year Engineer anyway. Staff travel doesn't run on a direct seniority line.
But yes is crap for everyone else, solution become management :ok:

Capt Fathom
11th Apr 2010, 06:29
You'll find this thread has run previously! :uhoh:

1a sound asleep
11th Apr 2010, 06:30
I would like to know why QF has :mad:1000 middle management ????

The The
11th Apr 2010, 09:28
I would like to know why QF has 1000 middle management ????

Obviously to support 100's of senior management, and be supported by a couple of thousand lower management. ;)

hardNfast
11th Apr 2010, 09:43
Someone has to work out to screw the most out of other parts of the business so they can keep their cushie job with great travel benefits!:ok:

ozbiggles
11th Apr 2010, 09:53
And the senior managers need to have someone to blame and sack when things go wrong..... and if necessary do jail time for them.

dodgybrothers
11th Apr 2010, 12:51
unless the internal inquiry clears them of any wrongdoing......

cart_elevator
12th Apr 2010, 05:12
So Joyce has siad many times he wants engaged employees... Dont really care if there are different tiers on staff travel, thats the same with all airlines.

But if he wants to engage all of us, a serious re-think of staff travel would be a good start. It is SO much cheaper to travel on a ZED fare with other airlines than it is to fly with QF on staff travel. I happily give my money to other carriers, as they are always cheaper than QF on staff travel.

A whole revamp of the 'world's most expensive' staff travel scheme would be a great boost for morale. How bout not just being the 'world's best premium airline' and combine it with being the 'world's best staff travel' :ok:

Other airlines' employees get free sectors, free upgrades, ability to buy then and there at the sales counter etc.

At the end of the day, it is just bums on empty seats. How bout instead of a percentage of the customers fares, we just pay to cover the meal and the fuel?

It is really sad that most people I know will choose ZED fares over QF flights cos they are so much cheaper on staff travel. :ugh:

B772
12th Apr 2010, 06:41
I understand Joyce embraced the Ansett staff travel benefits soon after he arrived at Ansett, especially when his parents visited Aust.

Gen Y
12th Apr 2010, 11:44
SOs are J15

LAME 10yrs+ service are J14

:ok::ok::ok:

neville_nobody
12th Apr 2010, 12:25
Well go work for these 'other' airlines if their conditions and perks are better then:rolleyes:

I think you will find that QF staff travel is a throwback to the 60's when it was quite a perk to have. Now with the normal airfares so low it has become almost irrelevent. I have seen full fare economy return across the pacific for $800. Delta were advertising NYC return for $900 only recently!!

blueloo
12th Apr 2010, 12:58
Someone aware of QFs Pilot industrial matters may or may not know what was previously (if indeed) traded for the pilots staff travel benefits.

If these benefits have been diluted by this (which they appear to have been) maybe they could revisit what was traded off and ask for it back?

twiggs
12th Apr 2010, 23:57
If they removed the international fuel surcharge as they did with domestic, our scheme would be as cheap as ZED if not cheaper in most cases.

ampclamp
13th Apr 2010, 00:46
I suspect that is correct re the surcharge.
with z fares you are the bottom of the barrel.(as you'd expect) no upgrades etc.
qf staff travel has its issues we all know that, but it still is a big plus for my family.Purchase of upgrades a big plus.

The unilateral gifting of higher staff travel benefits to management is pretty rude for those who have spent a career there.

astroboy55
13th Apr 2010, 02:14
Gday Gen Y

J14/J15 are the upgrade priority's....not the same as the onload priority's

Cheers

twiggs
13th Apr 2010, 06:21
Ampclamp,
I agree, there's no substitute for the ability to buy an upgrade.

The price of QEA sectors (excluding tax) is actually cheaper now than when the Star program was first implemented.

One change I would like to see is no fare charged for jump seats, just taxes.

Shazz-zaam
13th Apr 2010, 06:23
I noticed that since March you can access a list of Staff Travel upload and onload priority.
Does anyone know exactly what the codes mean? who is J14, J15 J18 etc.
I'm just curious. Thanks.

twiggs
13th Apr 2010, 06:24
It's all on the staff travel website under travel categories in the conditions section.

ampclamp
13th Apr 2010, 11:12
Its a good development.Less prone to shonky chk in mates rates:}
a bit better info is great to know the chance of getting a seat home or not.
Mind you, I know a few who work on the res/airports side of things and what appears on the staff site and what check in see can be quite different.

busdriver007
13th Apr 2010, 12:14
Simple response......10000 kg for everytime you are downgraded......come on guys think outside the square......:ok:

Gen Y
15th Apr 2010, 10:11
You are correct. Now explain how a " 1Year SO beats a 35Year Engineer"...:confused:

astroboy55
15th Apr 2010, 10:52
not sure...i never claimed they did......the actual onload categories seem to be really hard to get hold of..:rolleyes:

Wonderworld
15th Apr 2010, 10:52
Can someone explain to me how a deadheading JQ flt attendant gets a higher upgrade priority than actual QF staff on QF international flights.

Thats the one that really pisses me off.

Angle of Attack
15th Apr 2010, 12:24
Can someone explain to me how a deadheading JQ flt attendant gets a higher upgrade priority than actual QF staff on QF international flights.

Are you comparing duty travel with duty travel or comparing leisure travel? They are two kettles of fish.