PDA

View Full Version : XP to W7?

Slasher
11th Apr 2010, 05:24
Ive read the pros and cons with going from XP
to W7 (fortunatly I gave a wide birth to Vista).

In a nutshell should XP be stuck to or go for W7?
(Im certainly not upgrading. I need a new desktop
and Windows bloodey 7 is all there is around here).

Advice from XP to W7 migrants apreciated.

PS: IMHFO W7 isnt ready for prime time yet.

Been Accounting
11th Apr 2010, 06:50
I created a dual boot W7/XP to reduce the risk of 'missing out Vista'. This worked quite well and at some point I will remove XP as I never use it now.

W7 has made my old PC much better. I did have to add a video card but the whole experience has been positive.

green granite
11th Apr 2010, 07:11
Been Accounting that's what most of us on here did, and as you say, never go back to XP again. :ok:

Sprogget
11th Apr 2010, 07:26
Yeah and me, when the beta was around.

Seven is the next best o/s to xp imho. Xp with all it's chastity belts properly worn is a great operating system, seven though, as others have said is what Vista should have been in the first place. I don't know anyone who has regretted mving to it - it looks better, is easy to use and is much more fetaure rich than xp & I can't think of very many downsides. I would say just make sure that the machine it's going on is capable of handling it in terms of processor, ram etc.

Capetonian
11th Apr 2010, 08:17
I have just got back my laptop which has been migrated from XP to W7. Very happy with it, and have given our other machines to our computer man for the same upgrade.

cats_five
11th Apr 2010, 08:35
You way won't be losing your old PC so go for it. It has some great features - being able to pin launch icons to the task bar for example, and being able to pin your favourite documents (FlightLog.xslx!) to the launch icon.

If you were upgrading it would be best to save documents etc. to a second HDD and reformat.

Sprogget
11th Apr 2010, 08:41
being able to pin launch icons to the task bar for example

You can do that in xp!

frostbite
11th Apr 2010, 11:45
Are you unhappy in any way with XP?

Does W7 provide some significant benefit for your use of your computer?

If the answer is NO, then why further enrich M$?

Slasher
11th Apr 2010, 13:47
Thanks for all your replys.

Frostbite Im not unhappy with nuthing. XP is fine.
Love it. Its just Im after a new desktop and the new ones
are pre-loaded with W7. The question is whether I should
hunt down a mob that can preload XP onto a new desktop
puter rather than the factorey-preloaded W7.

From what I read here W7 apears to be a thumbs up.

Bushfiva
11th Apr 2010, 13:54
Yes, on a new machine, go for W7.

frostbite
11th Apr 2010, 14:24
Ah. Well, if it's a new machine you're talking about, then W7 seems the best option. The majority seem to be happy with it, and chasing XP might be more trouble than it's worth.

txdmy1
11th Apr 2010, 14:47
did it when I got a new box for home 6 months ago - sweet
doing it @ work for 16k users across the UK this year, not sure when XP out of support, but I think it's this year

ricardian
13th Apr 2010, 19:28
I moved from XP Pro to W7 Ultimate about 3 months ago. No problems other than getting familiar with the new "look & feel". I can still run some elderly hardware (including a scanner that used to run under Windows NT) but I don't think that's possible with any version of W7 other than Ultimate.
And I managed to save quite a lot of cash by using this software supplier (http://www.software4students.co.uk) and quoting my Open University student number (no connection with the firm other than as a satisfied customer)

Ancient Observer
14th Apr 2010, 10:37
I would echo ricardian's experience with "software for students". Cheapest source I've found for Mr Gates's rip-offs.

xraydice
14th Apr 2010, 19:31
Have win 7 , seems fine apart from the need to instal an email client and the inability to instal itunes,and transfer files from the old back up HDD without risking DVT doing it manualy :bored: ( easy transfer, not )

Slasher
20th Apr 2010, 13:41
Thanks for the replys.

I'll give W7 Ultimate a try. Im just sick up and fed with W
Gates & Co coming out with a new bloodey OS whenever
its wallet starts feeling like its not heavey enough.

Another worry is that Im a Boeing man and translipped to
the Scarebus 2 years ago and observed how the wheel is
constantly re-invented the Frog way (a u/s RA can cause
this stupid machine to STALL ON FINAL! But I digress....)
The XP seems 'Boeing' enough to me and I dont want to
make the error of going to a Airbus-like OS and having
to figure out how to do simple sh!t that Ive been doing
with my eyes shut for years.

Thanks again.

Sprogget
20th Apr 2010, 13:57
Nah, you'd need an Apple for that.