PDA

View Full Version : Basics of Helicopter Offshore Onshore Operation in oil/gas industry

bluehawaii
10th Apr 2010, 16:36
Ladies and Gents does anybody know how I can get detail information on Helicopter operation in the offshore and onshore oil gas industry operations. Thanks

Revolutionary
10th Apr 2010, 19:55
That's a little vague old boy; kind of like showing up at a bowling alley and asking for information about 'balls'. Ask a specific question and ye shall receive a specific answer!

offshoreigor
11th Apr 2010, 08:28
bluehawaii

I'm assuming you are either starting out or have only flown VFR or Military.

Do a google search on OGP and you will at least see what is required.

Here's a couple of links to get you started.

http://www.ogp.org.uk/pubs/351.pdf

http://info.ogp.org.uk/Geophysical/reports/S1.pdf

Cheers,

OffshoreIgor
:ok:

bluehawaii
11th Apr 2010, 22:00
Thanks Offshoreigor

amostcivilpilot
12th Apr 2010, 08:31
Hello bluehawaii

There is a book called

Helicopter Operations at Sea - A Guide to the Industry by David J,. House
ISBN 1 85609 168 6
Published by Witherby & Co Ltd
email: books(at)witherbys.co.uk ([email protected])
www.witherbys.com (http://www.witherbys.com)

I have the second edition which was published in 1999. It is geared mostly toward HLO's, offshore and ships personnel and Naval and Merchant Naval officers but there is a lot of useful information in it which may be of use, if a little dated - references to the Westland WG30 and the Boeing 234 Civil Chinook for example).

There may even be a later updated edition available.

And, I don't think it was a vague question :rolleyes:

Good luck

AMCP :)

bluehawaii
15th Apr 2010, 05:19
Thanks amostcivilpilot.

Epiphany
15th Apr 2010, 05:27
Drilling ships look for oil and gas. Helicopters are used to transfer crew. Oil rigs extract oil and gas found by drilling ships. Helicopters are used to transfer crew. That's it basically.

bluehawaii
15th Apr 2010, 06:06
Thanks Epiphany, for your explanation, I am intrested in the professional detailed logistics of the offshore helicopter operation.

helinews mag
30th Apr 2010, 03:50
bluehawaii,

helinews magazine which publishes in the asia-pacific is doing a story on the offshore industry in australia, e timor and india for our june issue.

i know this b/c i'm writing it, i'm a new member on the staff, and it includes data from interviews with bristow, chc, some smaller australian helo operators and indian helo operators

it's sort of an overview of the offshore helicopter industry (asia) and will include info for interested pilots on what operators hiring are looking for

hope it helps

dpale
30th Apr 2010, 12:51
As a very wise man has said, "you fly to the rig and you fly back again as per the manifest"

JulieAndrews
23rd Aug 2010, 20:17
Looking at obtaining a 'read' copy if any readers out there know of one available.
Amazon would like me to spend £95 on one!!!!

Peter PanPan
1st Mar 2011, 11:34
You can find it on Rigzone for $219.00 , Amazon surprisingly sells it from $557.03 used!!:confused: