PDA

View Full Version : Hard/Gas permeable lenses

short landing
21st Jul 2001, 17:08
Hello !!!

I'm used to soft contact lenses but recently I switch to Hard/Gas permeable lenses. Most of the time there is no problem but if a small dust enter your eyes it can be terrible. It's not very frquent but sometimes I'm unable to open the eye in which the dust entered.

Are pilots allowed to fly with Hard/Gas permeable lenses ?? If you are a pilot with this type of lenses tell me how you do to manage a small dust :)

Thanks

RV6
22nd Jul 2001, 08:00
In Australia there is no restriction on the type of contact lenses a pilot wears. I've used hard gas permeable lenses all my flying career, without problem - in fact I don't think the medical examiner has ever asked what type of lenses I wear.

There is a problem with dust getting under the lense - it can be very painful - but it has never affected my flying. I make sure the air vents are pointed away from my face, and I wear sunglasses when appropriate, which help to shield my eyes.

Crowe
22nd Jul 2001, 12:01
Short landing

I checked this out when I had my Class I initial - they don't mind what sort of contacts you wear, as long as your eyes are healthy.

So GPs could actually be better, as soft lenses can cut off too much oxygen if worn for too long.

Dust can be painful, but it tends to be worse out in the world - the average cockpit is pretty clean... I fly single pilot VFR and have never had a problem.

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: Crowe ]