PDA

View Full Version : Colourblindness

MikeSamuel
31st May 2001, 18:35
Hi people...Just a question regarding colour blindness. I hear it is really restricting when it comes to flying. I doubt very much that I do have it, as my eyesight is excellent, and colours don't pose a problem. Just wondered whether you can actually develop it during life, or is it something from birth? Cheers :)

Regards

Mike

------------------
What does this button do? Oh :(

critcaact
31st May 2001, 18:45
MS,
There's an incredibly large thread regarding defective color vision on the Medical and Health boards.

pohlcatt
4th Jun 2001, 07:59
you are able to fly with colour blindness if you are just going for PPL but you can't fly commercially with colour blindness. go to http://www.leftseat.com/colortest.htm here you can test your colour vision. if you are successful in these you'll be fine, colour vision wise, for your medical

More tea Vicar???
8th Jun 2001, 12:49
Colour Blindness?
or
Colour Perception?

Two different things!!!!!
Blindness = B&W
Perception = Difficulty with a small number of colours closely similar.
It's a gene problem passed down through the female in the family,ie Mother.
You generally don't get it coming on during life.

mad_jock
8th Jun 2001, 15:21
Is it just me, but the last one in the link test all i can see is random dots.

I have a class 1, whats the script?

MJ

Bird Strike
8th Jun 2001, 16:27
Yes these tests were incredibly difficult - maybe to do with the colour setting on my monitor? I've never been told that I had any colour problems but I could not work out 3 of the numbers!

bow5
8th Jun 2001, 18:00
I've passed the RAF eyesight tests at Cranwell inc. colour vision and those tests do seem harder than I remember - although I could see all the numbers. I agree though, the blue 5 on the purpleish background is a toughie. If you're in a test just don't say anything until you are totally sure of what you're seeing.

It's probably to do with monitor settings and the fact that monitors screw your eyes up anyway. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

It would be interesting to know if you can 'develop' colour-perception difficulties or whether it's something you're born with.

[This message has been edited by bow5 (edited 08 June 2001).]