View Full Version : 2 SQ Capts on Local terms sacked for refusing A330 conversion.

serangga
9th Apr 2010, 15:22
Heard on the grapevine that 2 B777 Captains on local terms were sacked by SQ for refusing to accept a fleet reassignment to the "less desirable" A330. Looks like the company wants to make an example for all to toe the line!

Ndicho Moja
9th Apr 2010, 23:30
Hmmm, at the end of the day SQ hired pilots. Not Boeing or Airbus pilots, just pilots. So I suppose a refusal to accept an assignment could be construed as gross misconduct, could it not?

411A
10th Apr 2010, 03:56
So I suppose a refusal to accept an assignment could be construed as gross misconduct, could it not?
I expect so.
This was done in the distant past (other types), as well, so I expect nothing has changed in the intervening years.
SQ management gets their pound of flesh, alright.:}

ULH Extreme
10th Apr 2010, 04:42
Maybe they did it on purpose to escape the Bond and move on.
It's hard to survive on Local terms if your an Expat with family.

serangga
10th Apr 2010, 05:16
These 2 blokes joined SQ cadets. They have both been here for more than 15 years each so their bonds are long over.

a345xxx
10th Apr 2010, 06:30
Are they Singaporeans or Malaysians? Or are they foreigners on local terms?

etops777
10th Apr 2010, 16:55
Are they Singaporeans or Malaysians? Or are they foreigners on local terms?

To be a cadet one need to be either Singaporean or Malaysian.

profsx
10th Apr 2010, 19:22
a kiwi friend of mine is a cadet with sq

parabellum
10th Apr 2010, 21:09
Possibly a bit more to this than is evident here?

I remember training captains reverting to line captains to avoid changing fleets, (SQ have a policy of rotating trainers through the fleets, about every three years), but I find it strange that two fifteen year captains on local terms should be fired for refusing a type change.

Had they been expats they would either have been allowed to finish their contract, no renewal, or given three months pay and told to leave.

Several expats didn't wait to be told their contracts were not going to be renewed and left anyway, about forty are now in Qatar, so I would have thought that SQ might be a bit short of experienced crew at the moment?

acegreaser
12th Apr 2010, 10:50
I know a british guy who was an SQ cadet....

King Julian
12th Apr 2010, 19:45
@ prof and ace
Contacts do work in SQ..!!:ok:

KJ