PDA

View Full Version : AME's past retirement age

Jumbo Liar
14th Dec 2001, 19:34
Has anyone any idea who controls AME retirement ? The JAR regulations require that AME's retire at age 70 years, but there is one continuing long after that age at Manchester Airport.

Rumour has it that the actual certificates are pre-signed by a younger AME, even though he has not even been in the building during the medical examination.

Are such practices legal ? How would such a certificate stand up in the event of an incident, an AIB enquiry, or an insurance claim ?

Any ideas on this, anyone ? And where is the next nearest younger AME ? Thanks a lot in advance.

Hew Jampton
14th Dec 2001, 20:50
I think that the CAA can issue individual over-70 AMEs with an exemption from JARs if there is no alternative AME in the area. I was told that (allegedly) the Germans at JAA voted for this rule enthusiastically, then promptly gave all their over-70 AMEs a blanket exemption. How typically European!

Jumbo Liar
17th Dec 2001, 19:31
Thanks for that. I wonder who decides whether the CAA will issue an exemption ?

The bloke I used to go to in Chester retired about 2 years ago, and I remember him saying that AME's were never allowed to go on beyond 70 under the new JAR rules.

Anyone else got any ideas ?

Whirlybird
17th Dec 2001, 21:05
Yes, I used to go to the Chester AME too. I heard from someone else afterwards that AMEs could continue if somone else countersigned the paperwork, and wondered if I should tell him, but I didn't.

Manual Reversion
18th Dec 2001, 03:03
There's no problem with the examination being carried out by one practitioner (perhaps 'over-age') with the Med 164 form (aka medical certificate) being signed by the designated AME.
The signatory is responsible for the examining doctors errors of omission etc and should something significant be missed, it is the signatory that has to do the explaining!

mallard
18th Dec 2001, 04:08
Jumbo Liar,
I'm sure you mean Dr.R.
I've been going to him for about 20 years and continue to do so because I am used to his ways and I guess nobody knows me better over such a long time.
I asked him when he would retire and he replied that he did not intend to do so.
There are personal reasons why it would be good for him to get out of the house.
Nothing sinister, just good reasons.
Without being able to check old medical certificates I cannot say whose signature is on my certificate but you may have a point.
If there is a younger sidekick maybe he could be your man.
Airtours company doctor is Dr. Martin Hudson in Goostrey. Tel. 01477 532527
I suppose that is where I would point myself if I had to change.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Dec 2001, 11:41
Doc I went to for some years at Heathrow was well past 70. The last time he signed a cert for me he was over 80!!!

Jumbo Liar
18th Dec 2001, 20:50
This really is a crazy situation, when it appears that an individual can apparently
ride roughshod over the decisions and wishes of the authority in power (the JAA - to which the UK is an enthusiastic participant).

JAR FCL 3.090 para (e) clearly states that "authorisation is invalid after the AME reaches 70 years of age".

Public transport pilot licence privileges are also subject to age limits under the JAR regulations. Can you even imagine our CAA
turning a blind eye to an over-age ATPL carrying passengers, then getting someone younger to fill in the log book.

Seems these AME's make up their own rules as they go along !!