PDA

View Full Version : Door ajar?

1279shp
9th Apr 2010, 01:58
Been away and haven't been here in ages. Back in NZ for a bit and this happens to one of my old steeds. Heard this on radio before, surprised not here already.

@@

A small aircraft with nine passengers and two pilots on board made an emergency landing at Auckland Airport this morning after the baggage cargo door flew open at the rear of the plane.:eek:

The Eagle Air Beech aircraft had just taken off on a flight to Whangarei.

"Immediately after take-off at approximately 200 feet the rear cargo door opened," said Mark Street from Air New Zealand which owns Eagle Air.

"The aircraft immediately returned to Auckland Airport landing a few minutes later without further incident."

Engineers were investigating what caused the baggage door to open.:hmm:

Passengers were put on another flight to Whangarei.

Fire Service shift controller Jaron Phillips said 10 fire appliances were sent
to the airport but by the time they got there the aircraft had landed safely. :D

pointyendforward
9th Apr 2010, 08:17
Only ten fire engines were sent? I assume then that they were intending for every person on board to get one each? So who misses out? :}

mattyj
9th Apr 2010, 09:22
Despatched to pick up the bags from the Manukau harbour probably!

Nothing on the annunciator panel before take off!?

Checkboard
9th Apr 2010, 10:47
The pilot's lunch, maybe.

6080ft
9th Apr 2010, 11:03
seen some photos - door was WIDE open. basically folded back over the top of the fuselage. struts ripped off.

devolved
12th Apr 2010, 01:48
so why has all this been removed from the news websites? and was not mentioned during the 6-o-clock news?

man if qwantus must be gutted they dont have the censorship deals ANZ has with the media here.

reubee
12th Apr 2010, 08:03
I've been wondering the same thing. I saw 2 photos on the late news, one in the air, one on the ground, but haven't seen them anywhere else.

Lindstrim
13th Apr 2010, 04:34
Open hatch forces emergency landing - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10638022)

This has the only photo I've found

crocodile redundee
13th Apr 2010, 05:44
Anything that's shaped like an egg carton, flies like an egg carton , glides like an egg carton; is bound to have a lid that opens like an egg carton......:bored:

Standing Water
13th Apr 2010, 05:55
It reminds me of the Mooney that crashed because the door was open and it caused airflow disturbance over the tailplane...

I wonder what Beechcraft/ Raytheon or whoever they call themselves this week will have to say about it.

Lucky it is a T tail?

Thoughts?

Shredder6
21st Apr 2010, 09:14
flies like an egg carton

Flies quite a lot better than an egg carton actually!

I think if that door had divorced itself of its airframe, the first place it would've gone would have been through the tail-plane. :uhoh:

Reckon those people were very lucky.

21st Apr 2010, 11:15
Not sure about this particular a/c but assume it is a Beech 1900.
Not sure about which door it is BUT have personal experience in Beech 56TC RH seat when the door opens on take off.
To summarise - I don't want to try that again!!!!!

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Apr 2010, 12:18
It reminds me of the Mooney that crashed because the door was open and it caused airflow disturbance over the tailplane...

Do tell us more? Sounds really interesting!

Dr :8

Standing Water
22nd Apr 2010, 07:06
Dr,

I am almost certain that i read about it in an old BASI journal, cant remember which one. Just remember sitting up and taking notice (the purpose of that fine publication :ok:) ... maybe someone else remembers/ has a reference?

avcraft
25th Apr 2010, 01:16
The Mooney incident was around 15 years ago or maybe more? From what I recall, had the pilot kept the speed up would have been ok but he slowed down and lost elevator control/effectiveness. I've flown just about every model of Mooney and I ALWAYS lock the baggage door with the key to make certain :ok:

ozaggie
25th Apr 2010, 01:19
Methinks, from a very jaded memory, that the conclusion of the report was that the a/c was quite flyable, but the pilot panicked and lost control.

mattyj
25th Apr 2010, 04:28
back to the topic..anyone had a look at the a/c..how bad is the structural damage?

27/09
25th Apr 2010, 10:02
Can't have been too much damage Mattyj, I heard it flew a day or two later.

Lindstrim
25th Apr 2010, 23:39
Theres nothing on the CAA accident reports, how long do you have before you need to contact regarding an incident?
From law I seem to recall arround 7 days after the incident?

PRD Area
26th Apr 2010, 01:54
This is being investigated by TAIC. It's listed on the Current inquiries (http://www.taic.org.nz/Currentinquiries/tabid/89/language/en-US/Default.aspx) page.

Lindstrim
26th Apr 2010, 04:26
ahh that explains it them

Aerozepplin
26th Apr 2010, 10:27
An accident or serious incident like that one requires notification as soon as practicable (a great word) and a report within 10 days. An open door like that isn't necessarily an accident, or if it is, it may not immediately be apparent, and so wouldn't show up on an accident register. Although if TAIC investigate then at least someone thinks it was a big deal. :cool:

Stifmeister
29th Apr 2010, 22:15
Theres more about it on the SA forums... go figure

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/413129-beech-1900-cargo-door-open.html

EladElap
30th Jul 2011, 16:40
Very comprehensive report out.

http://www.taic.org.nz/ReportsandSafetyRecs/AviationReports/tabid/78/ctl/Detail/mid/482/InvNumber/2010-004/Page/0/language/en-US/Default.aspx?SkinSrc=[G]skins/taicAviation/skin_aviation