PDA

View Full Version : Converting to UK Jaa with frozen atpl and "copilot" on license

Giggey
8th Apr 2010, 21:34
Hi all.
I own a Spanish license with A320 copilot endorsed on it.

Looks like the UK CAA does not accept it and refuses to convert until my authority removes this from my lic.

Is there anybody which has gone through this before and how did you manage to get it fixed?

Another question but of secondary importance, is it possible to convert directly from for example Spanish F Atpl to UK ATPL provided that all the requirements of hours and checking are met?

Help!

Thank you very much.

Rgds.

BillieBob
9th Apr 2010, 09:15
In the first place, there is no such thing as a 'UK ATPL' - The UK has not issued its own licences (except for the NPPL) for a number of years, only JAA licences. Secondly, it is not clear what licence you hold - Spanish national or JAA, CPL or ATPL - without which information it is difficult to give a proper answer.

It is the case that the UK does not issue type ratings endorsed for co-pilot only and, therefore, cannot issue a rating on the basis of one from another JAA Authority that is so endorsed.

Giggey
9th Apr 2010, 09:19
Hi Billie.
First of all thanks for getting interested on this isue.

To be more precise i own a Spanish JAA CPL(A) with the 14 ATPL subjects completed (FROZEN ATPL) and an A320 rating endorsed on it as "A320 Copilot"

I Have to convert to UK jaa and on the form 1136ff at secion 9 there is this Limitation.

I hope i was more clear now.

Thanks again

IRRenewal
9th Apr 2010, 14:53
is it possible to convert directly from for example Spanish F Atpl to UK ATPL provided that all the requirements of hours and checking are met?

Not possible AFAIK. Under JAR the only thing you can do is change the State of licence issue, the licence itself cannot change in the process. You need to convert your Spanish CPL to a UK/JAR CPL before you can upgrade to a UK/JAR ATPL.

If you meet the hours requirement for an ATPL your best bet might be to get your Spanish ATPL issued first, which should remove the 'copilot only' limitation, before converting that to a UK/JAR ATPL.

You are going to pay twice regardless (upgrade-transfer or transfer-upgrade) so from that point of view it makes no difference.

(all this based on theory only, I have no experience dealing with the Spanish aviation authorities)

BillieBob
9th Apr 2010, 21:40
Giggey - OK, as I understand it, you have a Spanish issued JAA CPL(A) with an A320 type rating (endorsed as co-pilot only) and, presumably, an IR with ATPL theory credits and you wish to change your State of Licence Issue to the UK.

There is no problem with your licence - if you meet the residency requirements of JAR-FCL 1.070, the CAA should be content to take that on, along with the IR and any other ratings. The problem is with the A320 type rating because the UK do not issue or recognise a 'co-pilot' restriction. Everyone undertaking a MPA type rating at a UK approved TRTO will do so as PIC and will be issued with an unrestricted type rating.

All that I can suggest is that you offer to undertake an LST at a UK approved TRTO acting as PIC, which should allow the Authority to issue an unrestricted type rating. However, the final decision rests solely with the UK CAA and you have to realise that there is no longer anybody in that organisation with the experience to properly understand your problem or to agree a pragmatic solution.

JLMF
9th Apr 2010, 22:05
Hello, I´m from Spain, 18 , I decided to do my PPL in UK , and also my ATPL exams, so I think that if I do ATPL in UK I have to do also CPL in UK, could I do IR in Spain? Will I have any problem ? My licence will be from spain or from UK? I don´t know too much about that, and i think they are important items to know about it..

Another of my cuestions is, I have a Spanish Medical Class 1, I have to renew it before August, so, could I change it to the Uk one just renewing like a UK one? How much is it? I will have any promblem in spain with that? What if when I´m in Spain i want to change it again to the spanish one?

Sorry for the questions, but I really need to know it.

Thank you.

JLMF
11th Apr 2010, 12:01
Anyone could help me please? Thank you.