PDA

View Full Version : Validity of Class Two?

RSP_2407
8th Apr 2010, 19:36
I got a Class One in April 2005. It expired after a year and so then used it as a Class Two.

Does anybody know if the five years of validity for a Class Two starts when the certificate was issued (i.e. the date I had the medical) or on the date it expires (12 months later)?

I went to renew my Class One today and the AME said I had another 12 months left on it. He rang someone at the CAA at Gatwick and they confirmed it, but for some reason he started doubting this as he had some trouble when he did his IR.

Anyway, basically, is my Class Two still valid for another 12 months or not?

Cheers.

homonculus
10th Apr 2010, 11:40
Hi

I do this regularly and have been told by various AMEs and Gatwick that the times all run from the date of examination.

If otherwise, the CAA would be allowing you to fly for longer simply because you held a class 1 - the class 1 does not mean you are more healthy, nor is the examination more likely to pick up pathology in the common areas such as the cardiovascular system.

Logically your examination for a Class 1 also gives you a Class 2 which runs for the same length of time from examination as if the examination had been for a Class 2

I will now wait to be shot down for my logic!

Talkdownman
11th Apr 2010, 13:40
The answer is probably here somewhere (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1859/SRG_Med-Notification_Index.pdf). Maybe page 131.....