PDA

View Full Version : overshoot bournemouth

Ronco37
8th Apr 2010, 17:44
A friend saw a small aircraft over fly the runway yesterday )(or day before?) with a Ryanair jet on the runway awaiting clearance. I would be grateful for any info' please.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Apr 2010, 18:37
What sort of information do you want? A small aircraft carried out a go-around while a Ryanair aircraft was waiting to depart...... and???

Knife-Edge
8th Apr 2010, 19:07
Here is the answer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrwO8b9iq34).

HZ123
8th Apr 2010, 20:06
I do not think some of you are being very helpful?

Avman
8th Apr 2010, 22:54
Ronco, what your friend saw was nothing unusual. A "light" aircraft may be making instrument approaches for training purposes. There is no intention to land. At a given altitude and distance from the threshold it will commence a go around. All this is coordinated with ATC beforehand. Keeping everyone informed, ATC may line an a/c up on the runway. Generally over the threshold (or before) the trainer will turn away on an assigned heading clear of the runway - and the departure a/c can be given it's take-off clearance. ATC is all about SAFETY and EXPEDITION.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Apr 2010, 11:31
HZ123... Not really a case of being unhelpful; I didn't know what he wanted to know. Problem on here is that non-aviation people pose questions about things which are quite routine. Avman has provided an excellent explanation which should keep Ronco happy.

potkettleblack
9th Apr 2010, 12:16
During my IR training all I bleedin did was missed approaches at EGHH! Landing really is overrated you know.

Then it was back up into the NDB hold and out on the full procedural approach to have another go. If my instructor was feeling nice then he might slide the visor open just a smidgen to show me the runway dead ahead before he called the go around again. And whilst he was distracting me with a "look down there" bang there goes the engine....again....Simulated of course.

Ah what fun we had.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Apr 2010, 13:43
Yep.. I flew as safety pilot on a Minair Dove at Hurn several times during my radar course in 1971. Scary, but fun!!