PDA

View Full Version : Jetlag

Brenoch
13th Dec 2001, 16:32
I´m currently suffering from a bad case of jetlag and insomnia.. I never used to have any problems coping with it but now it really seems to get too me..
I am currently doing alot of east/west flights with three to four day layovers and then most of the time doing a trip like that again only going the other way..

I´m not too fond of the idea of using any form of medication and I would just like to know if anyone has got any good ideas or hints to make it more bareable..

Many thanks

Noddy Staltern
13th Dec 2001, 19:06
Have you tried Melatonin? It is available from Health Stores in the US. Not a drug but a tablet form of a naturally secreted sleep hormone. Plenty of info available on the web...

willoman
13th Dec 2001, 19:37
Melatonin is specifically not cleared for use by British crews. Ref-CAA

Brenoch
13th Dec 2001, 20:33
A colleague of mine tried it twice.. First time was perfectly allright, he slept like a baby, so I´m told.. The second and last time he tried it though, he slept for around 16 hours and felt hung-over for a day or two.. :(
I´m not so sure I want to go through that with me being hung-over enough as it is and all.. :D

The Nr Fairy
14th Dec 2001, 01:21
Although not aircrew, I have found the best way for me to deal with jetlag is to set my watch to destination time when boarding the aircraft.

Left LA last Sunday 1720 local, had been up all day, set watch to UK time ( 0120 ) - slept for 3 / 4 hours, had brekkies at 8pm UK time, not had any problems except a few noddy moments.

And not recommended for aircrew flying back from Boston - stay up till midnight drinking, get up at 5am to drive to Logan, get the 0800 flight, home 1900 local, straight to sleep - no problems !