PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay here in the States or look for pilot jobs abroad?

LS1droptop
7th Apr 2010, 17:23
Alright, so a little background information on myself and my situation. I am 23 years old. I grew up around aviation, my dad has worked in the airline industry for years now (currently at US Airways where he has worked 21 years, and at Eastern before that) and so it didn't take long for me to realize that working in the aviation industry was something I wanted to do also. I started taking flying lessons when I was 12, and have been flying ever since. I just graduated from college with a Bachelors degree and am now finishing up my MEI with hopes of trying to find a flight instructing job here in the next several months.

Now heres my question: My dad has several friends who went overseas to fly when they first started out, and he suggested that I look into the same. Is there any parts of the world (Europe, Africa, Asia, ect.) where it would be easier to land a job flying than here in the States (I would be willing to do anything), or is it not worth the trouble of getting the proper documentation to work in a foreign country, converting the licenses, ect. that it would take to do such a thing?

I assumed this would have been covered somewhere on this forum, but I tried searching and couldn't find an exact answer to my question, so if this has already been covered then I apologize.

So basically the question is: Are there any international jobs for an American pilot that are worth pursuing, or would it be easier and less of a hassle to just try and find a job here in the States? Also, what are the minimums like in other countries as compared to here in the states? Are they lower or higher?

Thanks in advance. :)

Bruce Wayne
7th Apr 2010, 17:46
he suggested that I look into the same. Is there any parts of the world (Europe

like rockinghorse sh*t in europeland !

alphaadrian
7th Apr 2010, 18:23
Stay in the states man! There is nothing around in Europe at the mo, even with guys with ten times as much as what you got. (Im one of them!). Not sure exactly what the market is in USA but it GOTTA be better than here. I know a lotta guys who would be on the first flight to USA if they had the elusive green card!!

Im talking bout Europe here. Not sure about Africa/Asia but im sure someone else will give their views on those parts of the world.

Good luck wherever you end up dude:ok:

Brian304
9th Apr 2010, 16:47
Stay in U.S.A., its pretty bad in europe and other place. Maybe you should look at bush flying or somthing in africa? Asia is good if you can get hold of the documentation, or if you apply to cathay pacific if you have the right connections for SO. China isn't an option unless you have a full ATPL with hours. PARC and rishworth usually recruit for asia, if you look into them. For now probably become an FI in the states or try somthing like eaglejet if you want to take the risk.

Overall, it is your life and live up to your dreams.

flyhighspeed300
9th Apr 2010, 20:08
I am from England, been waiting for a couple of years now for a flying job. Done some odd work in a king air and been keeping up my ratings. I am looking/ trying to do some work over in america on the flying side of thing.

its much easier over there than here in europe. see EU ops 1.960
you cannot make money flying single crew in europe without having min 500hrs or to fly IFR with 700 and with 400hrs IFR time. so it all Multi crew here normally for a first job..

at least the rules are abit more easier in the states.

Mike Higgins
10th Apr 2010, 10:04
I'm a 30 year pilot flying in Vietnam, furloughed United Pilot (again), working for Vietnam Airlines. The Orient is really expanding and they need pilots - BAD! We just announced the need for 140 more A320/321 pilots this year. We're receiving a new 321 every month and have two 320s parked part time for lack of pilots. The pay is good, the flying is great. The expat community is awesome. We live in a third world country - get used to it. It's a commuter contract, and will require a 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off schedule for one year. If you want to fly more, it's automatically approved. I had to wait a year to get my 5/3 schedule (with pay reduction). Vietnam flies you where you want (on their network - not partners) for each rotation, so you can travel a good chunk of the world. We fly the entire orient to include Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, the PI, Singapore, Bangkok, plus Australia, Paris, Frankfort, and Moscow. Most single guys don't go home, but hit Thailand, Malaysia, or other resort areas.
All expats are only contract pilots to Vietnam Airlines. Three contractors. PARC is Ireland based and a complete class act. DPI is also Ireland (I think) and is new. They seem solid, although I think they may pay a little less. Rishworth is New Zealand based and completely unethical. You've probably seen my other posts. They lie about lots of things. We're now forced to take them to court for an illegal, retroactive pay cut they just implemented in February for work we did last August through January. We've got 25 pilots on the suit so far. They've done things like this before. Avoid Rishworth!! Fly Vietnam Airlines if you can't get a job in the states. Make sure you have your type and minimum hours. They hire right to minimums! Cheers