PDA

View Full Version : Possible stupid question

IrishJason
7th Apr 2010, 16:52
Sorry now lads. May be a stupid question but i never get anywhere if I dont ask them :) I'm going too lanzorete next month and i was wondering if i asked someone on the flight deck on the way there would they let me have a look around the cockpit for a few mins or maybe have a sit in too see what its like during flight. I know it may be a massive security issue or could be a very ignorent thing too do but sure I thought I'd ask anyway

Thanks a mill

sorry if this is the wrong section

Aerouk
7th Apr 2010, 17:26
You can ask all you want but the crews aren't allowed to take people up front during flights. For security and flying reasons, pretty sure there was a crash a couple of years ago after a Captains son disengaged the auto pilot or something.

IrishJason
7th Apr 2010, 17:35
I actually seen that on air crash investigation alrite. I was thinking as much anyway. thanks

Aerouk
7th Apr 2010, 17:37
Sometimes the crews will let you while they're on the ground, I would ask then. If they say no then there's no harm done.

747JJ
7th Apr 2010, 19:39
When I was a kid, I spent hunderds of hours sitting in cockpit with my Father as the Capt or one of his mates or when my Mother was the Purser. The experience and knowledge I gained by sitting and watching was invaluable.

However things are not like that anymore. There are still companies around that do not prohibit visits in flight for friends and family but these are minority and certainly there are no UK companies that would entertain such requests. A pity as many a potential pilot never got the kick it gave thousands of people in the past.

A visit on the ground should not be a problem, even with very short turnarounds. Me or the FO's I fly seem to find the time to entertain visitors and answer the questions. So IrishJason give it a go and ask the senior or if you get a chance ask one of the pilots directly.

dwshimoda
7th Apr 2010, 20:36
..it is nothing to do with Flight Crews children disconnecting AP's - although this was a major problem for any number of other reasons.

The locked FD is a direct result of the Sept 2001 attacks, and the following knee jerk reactions. Whether it is right or wrong has been done to death on PPRuNe before.

However, if you were on a flight I was operating, then as long as the Skipper was okay with it (and 90% of them are) then I wouldn't have any problem with you visiting before or after the flight - obviously on the ground with engines cut off. And it would depend on it not being a busy / critical time for us.

I've not been flying long, but I love it when we have visitors, and most of the Captains I fly with also do. If I was you, I would politely ask a member of Cabin Crew when you are boarding and see what they say - they can only say no.

Hope you get up there!

DW.

themidge
7th Apr 2010, 20:37
I flew to the US last week and visited the flight deck once on the ground. Unfortunately in flight is an absolute no no and probably always will be. It was good enough to see it on the ground, the ground power hook-up fell out a couple of times so it's a good job the APU was still running.

Some engineer guy came up to look at some stuff while I chatted with one of the pilots. It was good of them to give me a few minutes after a ten hour flight, I was pretty tired and I didn't do any of the flying.

Grasscarp
7th Apr 2010, 20:52
This is all such a pity. I used to always visit the flight deck during flights and was often invited to sit in for the landing, including the spectacular Hong Kong approach through the high rise blocks of flats. Just like the simulator except for the dreadful smell. Hong Kong means fragrant harbour! I am sure many future pilots were spawned during that first visit up front.

IrishJason
7th Apr 2010, 22:25
Thats much appreated lads. thanks a mill. I wasnt really expecting an in-flight look but thought I'd ask anyway. but even a look after or before would be great. maybe ill explain my situation too the crew then. say I'm really interested in becomming a pilot and I'm going for my ppl soon which i am and hopefully they will oblige. Such a pitty. would love too have a look around and see what all ye pilots see on a daily basis :ok:

IRRenewal
8th Apr 2010, 07:27
If you want to have a look after the flight, make sure you're near the front of the A/C and get in there straight away. If you hang around in the back of the cabin waiting for everybody to get off before speaking to the crew it won't work because you would affect the turnaround. I've seen this happen and I have had to disappoint people who wanted to have a look in the cockpit for that reason.

Disembarking normally takes a few minutes. This is really the only window there is for a flight deck visit. See if you can speak to one of the pilots before the flight, ask if you can pop in after the flight. Most of us are happy to oblige, but don't take it personal if the answer is no. On the day there can be many reasons why there is no time for a chat.

pilotboy 95
9th Apr 2010, 11:40
I saw that air crash investigation program and I think it was an Aeroflot airline and the pilot did not understand the auto pilot system, so when he let his son turn the aircraft it disengaged the auto pilot and the force was too great to control. (the pilot didn't think his son would actually be turning the aircraft)

Photon85
9th Apr 2010, 16:36
last year I sat on the jumpseat of a 737 on a short international flight.

Captain just asked to see my pilots license and medical

IRRenewal
9th Apr 2010, 18:50
Photon85,

It all depends on the airline and what it says in the operations manual. In my airline I would be fired if I allowed you in the cockpit like that during flight, as would be the case in most other airlines nowadays. I won't ask who you were flying with in case people start digging and find out somebody broke the rules.

Photon85
10th Apr 2010, 02:30
Indeed, that's why I left it out.
Was a nice gesture though