PDA

View Full Version : List Of Medicines Necessitating Suspension Or Cancellation Of Medical

gemini76
7th Apr 2010, 07:03
Searched high and low for this. Does anyone know if such a list exists? Don't really want to ask them myself !
Any info greatly appreciated.

Spitoon
7th Apr 2010, 18:32
No such definitive list exists as far as I know.

The ANO Article 74(1) says 'A person must not act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom if they know or suspect their physical or mental condition renders them temporarily or permanently unfit to perform such functions or to act in such capacity.

I believe that the reason that there is no list is that each medication can affect everybody differently and so a list would inevitably miss a drug that has an adverse effect on someone. So the law puts the onus on the individual to assess themselves. That said, the CAA has a list of drugs (a good many of which are available over the counter) that are deemed to render a licence holder unfit to exercise the privilidges of the licence for some reason, irrespective of how he or she might feel. But I don't think the CAA's list is published officially anywhere.

gingernut
7th Apr 2010, 21:45
An old adage in medical and nursing spheres is never say never, and never say always.

I doubt such a list exists, as it would lack both sensitivity and specificity. As the poster above states, one drug may be ok for one person, but a disaster for another.

Having said that, there is some devil in the detail- some years ago, I wanted to initiate some treatment on one of my patients who had a cardiovascular condition, before I signed the script, he presented me with a rough photocopy of what was, (and wasn't) allowed by the CAA (he was a PPL)-it was quite specific, see the debate pn ssri's on this forum for example.

I should imagine that the authorities would be more interested in the underlying condition, and the control of it, rather than the medicine itself (in most cases).

I seem to remember from one of my AFE books that it was deemed sensible to discuss any change of meds with your AME (which sounds reasonable, most are there to keep you in the air after all)- he may also give you some quite good advice.:)

Jn14:6
8th Apr 2010, 09:50
Try a search for; JAA Manual-Medication and Flying. (chapter 19)
This lists many diseases/conditions and their medications, together with a fly/no fly/maybe verdict.
Not exhaustive, but maybe helpful.
Brgds,14:6