PDA

View Full Version : Webcam & BSOD

maffie
6th Apr 2010, 11:59
Afternoon,
I'm looking for help with my Trust 320 Spacec@m and Dell Mini 10 netbook.

I can connect the webcam to the Dell, the netbook sees it and sets up the drivers without problem. But when I try to use the webcam I get the Blue Screen Of Death.

BSOD points to ks.sys file. So I've copied a version from another PC (where the same webcam works) and put in the the windows/system32 directory, but it does bugger all. Both computers are running XP Home, SP3.

So I'm not sure if this is just a Dell thing and get a new webcam (which I dis-assemble and plug into my telescope anyway) or there's something obvious that I'm missing..

Many Thanks
Matt

green granite
6th Apr 2010, 12:30
Doesn't the mini 10 have a built in webcam? If so try disabling it as 2 webcams trying to run together might be the cause.

maffie
6th Apr 2010, 16:21
Yes it does have a built in webcam. I did disable it in 'hardware settings' thinking there was a conflict, but same result.

Ta
Matt

Simonta
6th Apr 2010, 19:36
Hi Maffie

Some suggestions:

1. Check that you have the latest drivers for your video card
2. Same for the webcam
3. Right click the desktop then Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and turn down the hardware acceleration a step at a time and try again.
4. If you have a printer installed, try disabling it. It's a bit esoteric but printer drivers and graphics drivers can (rarely) conspire to trip you up..

When you swapped the driver (ks.sys), are you sure your chum had the same camera?

Cheers