PDA

View Full Version : License question

Edgar Jessop
6th Apr 2010, 10:45
I've read the ELGD and still have a question in my mind, which maybe you guys can help with. When somebody has passed all the necessary Part-66 B1 exams within the specified 5-year window is he entitled to any sort of licence (such as the old LWTR)? Having passed the exams do they 'lapse' if the required practical experience isn't gained in a certain timescale?

TIA :)

Alber Ratman
6th Apr 2010, 11:16
I do believe that the modules have to be all completed within 5 years before modules laspe and have to be retaken. There is no maximum time limit in achieving the practical tasks (only a minimum depending on self improver etc) for the basic licence. In reallity, however the basic licence means nothing without a type rating and a company approval. You will only be employable as an unlicenced mechanic (although some companies have more that one level of mech/fitter!) It does however make you possibly more employable.

Sonic Bam
6th Apr 2010, 17:16
Info on changes to specific time periods (increases) here http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc/opinions/Translations/05_2008/Opinion%2005-2008.pdf and here http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc/opinions/Translations/05_2008/Amdt%202042%20to%20Opinion%2005-2008.pdf

big_boeing
6th Apr 2010, 17:25
Another little license question that i can't seem to find the answer of.

How long does a type certificate last from once completed?
e.g. how long do you have to put it on your license before it expires?

Can anyone help?

Greeny9
6th Apr 2010, 18:03
It will not expire on your licence but you must certify at least 6 months every 2 years to keep it current. Otherwise you will have to undertake recurrency training to reactivate it.

Alber Ratman
6th Apr 2010, 18:27
The links lead to the proposals.. These documents have not been signed off by the EC into European law yet as far as I know..:eek:

Edgar Jessop
7th Apr 2010, 07:20
Alber, thanks for your feedback. If I read you correctly simply taking the modules does not gain any sort of license but at least once taken (within the 5 year window) this part of the qualification does not expire. Hence on a CV you would just state modules a-b-c passed between dates x-y-z?

Equally the LWTR is dead and replaced by the basic Part-66 licence. I understand without a type course and company approval you're just a pair of hands. Wanted to make sure I'd understood how it works though ;)

What about somebody who gains a type rated licence but fails to keep up the necessary experience involvement? Falls back to the basic licence I presume, but does that basic licence expire?

Sonic Bam
7th Apr 2010, 17:41
"The links lead to the proposals.. These documents have not been signed off by the EC into European law yet as far as I know..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif "
Correct but when it reaches this stage, as far as I am aware, it is unlikely to be changed and will go into the rule.

grafity
7th Apr 2010, 21:18
From my dealings with the Irish Authority you need to have your application in with the applicable experience by the end of the 5 years.

If your lacking in the required experience for the B license it might worth getting an A license in the mean time, that's if you have the required experience for it. That way the clock is no more and you can convert to the B license at your leisure in the future, when you've gained the extra required experience. Oh, and paid the appropriate fee.:O