PDA

View Full Version : validity of jaa written exams

eaglejet
6th Apr 2010, 01:17
Hi folks,

Anybody knows how long the jaa (caa) written exams are valid for before I thave to complete the practical ATPL test.

Thanks

mcgoo
6th Apr 2010, 01:20
Assuming you have both the JAA CPL and IR, they are valid for 7 years from the last IR validity date.

bajadj
6th Apr 2010, 21:21
I believe it's 3 years from the date of your final exam pass that you have to complete your CPL / IR.

TheOne83
6th Apr 2010, 22:43
3 years after you completed the ATPL written exams for a CPL/IR practical test.. Then they are valid for 7 years from the last IR validity date as mcgoo stated.

If you do some search in the JAR regulations you will find it there, also it has been posted on the forums before. Good luck!:ok:

eaglejet
8th Apr 2010, 04:41
Ok thanks guys.

I actually hold an ICAO ATPL license already and I'm just going through the JAA conversion process. So I would assume it would be 7 years for me until I take the ATPL practical test. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

BillieBob
8th Apr 2010, 08:49
Your assumption is incorrect. The exams are valid for the issue of a CPL and/or an IR for 3 years from the date of gaining a pass in all of the required examination papers. The fact that you already hold an ICAO licence is not relevant.

Having had the CPL and IR issued within the 3 year validity, the exams remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for 7 years from the last validity date of the IR. In other words, provided you do not let the IR expire by more than 7 years, the exams remain valid indefinitely.

The 7 year period does (can) not apply unless and until you hold an IR and, therefore, the critical period is 3 years to have that issued - in your case, I assume, as part of the ATPL.