PDA

View Full Version : KAS Eastern DRC crew shot?

oompilot
5th Apr 2010, 18:06
Any news on 2 aircrew shot in eastern DRC? I believe King Air Services contract on 1900. Would appreciate any news, preferably that this is a rumour and that the thread should end here.

Der absolute Hammer
5th Apr 2010, 18:46
As do we all.
But it is a horrid coincidence if it is true. April 29th (ish) 2006. Convair 580 eastern DRC? Two SA pilots and two Congolese crew members?

Coleman Myers
5th Apr 2010, 20:18
Please keep us posted if you know any more information

Solenta
6th Apr 2010, 04:56
UN News

A UN peacekeeper and 2 contractors in the Eastern DRC were shot dead by insurgents

UN peacekeeper, contractors killed by insurgents in north-western DR Congo (http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=34282&Cr=democratic&Cr1=congo)

“The blue helmet was killed after he had been deliberately targeted by an insurgent while he was standing at the top of an armoured vehicle,” the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC (MONUC (http://monuc.unmissions.org/)) said.

The peacekeeper who was killed came from Ghana. One of the dead UN contractors was working at the airport, and the other, a pilot, was shot by the assailants when they were being chased out of the airport.

Whilst the death of any peacekeeping / humanitarian volunteer is unacceptable and tragic, lets hope and pray that it was was not a fellow pilot from KAS.

Romeo E.T.
6th Apr 2010, 09:45
from AvCom • View topic - Andre Balt RIP (http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61164)

Have just been informed that well known DC3 pilot and all around gentleman Andre Balt was killed in a rebel attack on their base in the DRC.
RIP Andre.

tedstriker
6th Apr 2010, 11:09
Sickened to hear this. I really liked Andre... a good man.
My sincerest condolences to his family.

Mobotu
6th Apr 2010, 12:20
Contacted a friend of mine at the airport who reported the pilot was killed with a machette - Drc is still a war zone not unlike Afganistan or Irak - You taught us to respect the Dak so it will respect us - Your a legend - RIP Andre

pyote
6th Apr 2010, 12:25
RIP Andre- Terrible news

Spadhampton
6th Apr 2010, 12:47
I didn't know Mr.Balt. May his soul rest in peace under the protection of the almighty.

I would appreciate any further names involved. It would be nice to know if I could help an old friend in need.

booze
6th Apr 2010, 13:58
RIP Andre...

I will never forget those inspirational stories of your Arctic flying on the Dak. And many more, often heard in Hassi and elswhere.

Condolences to the family,

booze

FFFrentit
6th Apr 2010, 14:03
This is a very sad day for those of us that knew Andre. Love him, or hate him, he was such a unique individual that he always left an impression on everyone he met.

Strength and prayers for his family - particularly his two daughters that he loved probably more than anything else.

Biggles, we shared a lot of adventures together on the Dak, and I will always be honoured to have your name in my logbook. May those big radials always start first time up there................

Flyer14
6th Apr 2010, 14:06
Very sad news.............Andre and I could not have been from worlds any more further apart but we got on and kept each other company during many nights in Ohanet. No one deserves to go out like that :(

Carrier
6th Apr 2010, 19:35
Very sad news.
It does raise questions about what protection is available for UN contract staff. They are sent into areas where hostilities take place or are likely to occur, which is why the UN is there. Therefore they should receive adequate protection.
Are they issued with body armour and firearms? What sort of security is provided for their residences, offices and hangars? What sort of perimeter defences are there for airfields? There should be safe zones around airfields to prevent short range attacks on arriving and departing aircraft.
What sort of life insurance/ compensation is provided? Ordinary life insurance policies are usually invalidated if the insured ventures into lawless or war stricken areas.
Someone needs to do some thinking and provide some answers! Anyone considering a job with a contract company needs to get these questions answered before hiring on.

LJP
6th Apr 2010, 19:48
Andre's daughters have requested those wanting funeral details to contact them here [email protected]

I will miss you my friend

Lindsay

OK invalid hash PM me for deatails

Fuzzy Lager
7th Apr 2010, 05:26
OMG! what terrible news. RIP Andre, you were a legend.

Budgieburgers
7th Apr 2010, 07:39
Andre, we started our aviation career together way back in 1967. You were a great friend and we crossed paths all over the world over the years. now we will again cross paths in a better place someday. Deepest sympathy too your family.

Budgie

Cardinal Puff
7th Apr 2010, 11:15
Sorry to hear that. Go well, boet...

Siguarda al fine
7th Apr 2010, 11:37
Im am deeply saddened by Andre's murder and feel sorrow for his family.
Andre loved adventure and the unknown, his exploits will remain with me forever.
Rest in peace old warrior.

BigglesGirls
7th Apr 2010, 18:00
Thank you Lindsay for offering our details here, Thank you to everyone who posted messages. He definately was the best Dac pilot around. To us, his daughters, absolutely the greatest Dad in the world...
If anybody would like to attend the service, please contact me at [email protected] ([email protected]) (The service will probably be early next week). Please pass on the word. We have no contacts for most of his friends and colleagues.

Love you Dad, Uncle Biggles, Top Gun. Always.

Your daughters, Cally and Caitlin
xox

p.s if anyone has pictures of Andre, or any stories we may enjoy hearing, please send them to the e mail address above.

flyboy2
7th Apr 2010, 18:03
RIP old friend.
We often talked both aviation and the other passion-sailing.
Cheers

Gooneybird
8th Apr 2010, 05:57
I have only just heard about this.

I was talking of Andre only today with no idea he was dead. Tragic event is all I can say right now. I spent some happy hours chatting to Andre about his DC3 exploits, I didn't know him well but he was a fascinating gentleman to listen too and gave me some good advice.

May he rest in peace along with those who were with him.

BigglesGirls
10th Apr 2010, 15:41
We still have not been able to finalise a date for Andre’s service, but it will most likely be Thursday, 15 April, 2pm at St Charles Catholic Church, Victory Park. We are also planning a wake after the service at the Auckland Park Bowling Club (address to follow). We will let you know if this changes.
contact us at [email protected] or 0836017179 for any further information
Caitlin, Cally and Lynne

Contract Dog
11th Apr 2010, 22:39
I cant begin to immagine what you are going through, I am a KAS 1900 pilot with 2 daughters, and am flying in DRC at the moment. Your father was an inspiration to many an asspiring pilot, though I never met him in person, I did have had a few conversations with him re the old DC3 over the phone. He was a powerfull man with a sence of right and wrong and he loved you with all he had. I truly hope that you know what you meant to him and that his memory will be kept allive in the love that he had for you. I am sorry for your loss

Dog

kings kid
15th Apr 2010, 08:09
The untimely death of Andre Balt was a shock to us all, and family and friends decided that a DC-3 fly-past in honour of his life which was dedicated to aviation would be a suitable farewell. Contributions by friends or colleagues in support of the fuel cost would be welcome and should contributions be more than required, it will be passed on to Andre's daughters, Caitlin and Cally. If you want to contribute, please contact Renier by e-mail at [email protected] ([email protected]).

A big thanks to the following: John Austin-Williams of The South African Airways Museum Society and the Dakota Association of South Africa, Erns Conradie (pilot), Brett Gartland (co-pilot), Hennie Delport of Phoebus Apollo Aviation for the use of his beloved DC-3, ZS-DIW, "Pegasus", Stuart Smith, Phoebus Apollo, for flight planning and organising and Lourens de Lange (Unicomm) for VHF radios. Thank you too, to the numerous people who have posted kind words on the various aviation forums, it has been a great source of comfort for the family and they appreciate it very much.

Cloudbouncer
19th Apr 2010, 11:33
RIP Andre

You were the best DC3 Captain I had the pleasure flying with for many years on my DC3's, you will be sadly be missed. To his Girls and Lynne he was a HERO.

Raffles S.A.
30th Oct 2016, 19:46
Andre was a personal friend and we flew together on many occasions. R.I.P.