PDA

View Full Version : Another B757/A320 Operator bust - How will it affect the UK market?

SPLIT-FFMTCC
5th Apr 2010, 17:55
With the demise of Skyservice in Canada as reported here in the news forum:

PPRuNe News Forum - SSV Receivership (http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/410709-another-airline-gone-bust.html)

I'd be interested to know how those working at TCX (who had a reciprocal agreement in place for seasonal flightdeck labour) and the general pilot community think this may affect things with TCX and in the UK jobs market as a result.

Will Thomas Cook UK bring these guys in en-masse?
Will the unions/government potentially block it?
Will TCX have to recruit home grown pilots now their partner airline has gone bust?
What do PPRuNers think TCX will do going forward?

An insight from TCX pilots who flew with former Skyservice pilots or SSV pilots themselves may want to comment would be welcomed.

Again, news of another airline demise is never good reading and best wishes to all those made redundant.

A and C
5th Apr 2010, 18:12
As usual the government will welcome any one to the UK and let them work, just like a UK citizen can do in Canada, Australia and the USA !

stansdead
5th Apr 2010, 18:17
Two words: astraeus & Titan

SPLIT-FFMTCC
5th Apr 2010, 18:21
Stansdead - Two words: astraeus & Titan

Care to elaborate for those not well versed with your reference please?

A and C - I take it you are dropping in a healthy dose of sarcasm here?

stansdead
5th Apr 2010, 18:25
The above mentioned airlines are 2 UK based ACMI operators, with, I imagine spare capacity and the ability to work for TCX this Summer if required.

Just a guess, but if not them, someone similar.

SPLIT-FFMTCC
5th Apr 2010, 18:43
I thought TCX needed the additional crew (i.e. Canadians) to crew their existing aircraft during the busy summer months when its all hands to the pumps. The ACMI mob out there will be able to handle some but not all of this requirement.

I guess TCX and the ACMI will have to hire extra UK pilots as a result then?

Not ideal we are talking potentially of something good for the UK market at the expense of 860 (according to Wikipedia) in Canada.

Dreamshiner
6th Apr 2010, 10:18
I think all that can be guaranteed is that the usual airline summer fire-fighting crazy time will happen as a result of this.

It would be interesting to know how things will pan out, i.e. if its better for UK pilots or worse?

stansdead
6th Apr 2010, 11:37
How could it get worse than currently?

Dreamshiner
6th Apr 2010, 11:52
TCX maybe able to bring a lot of their former seasonal staff in from Canada either on ancestry visas (as I'm sure some would qualify) or some other method therefore stifling UK pilots on an type that jobs been decimated by the recession (Zoom, XL, Silverjet, GSM, etc.)

The fact that a significant number have been working under TCX SOP's already opens a door as does the existing friendships and the business introduction.

Mimiben
6th Apr 2010, 18:02
One very little word... WAIT. Stopping making assumptions, TCX is working on various back up plans. But a Canadian flood is not yet part of it. As much as a massive ex GSM intake is not top priority because of cost and time scale.

Torque2
6th Apr 2010, 18:20
Whilst this is pertinent regarding TCX don't forget that TOM/TUI are in the same boat so don't confine your criticisms to one player.

I'm sure that there will have been backup plans that now need to be aired and yes I'm sure that any qualified persons with right of work will be accepted especially those having already operated to the TCX SOP's. Time and cost are the key factors as has been pointed out.

As far as wet leasing/subbing goes there aren't too many familiar names out there with capacity at this late stage, should be interesting to see who gets what.

LIMA OR ALPHA JUNK
6th Apr 2010, 19:20
Whoever is available and cheapest I would imagine in Europe. Bit too late to get an influx of Canadians in. Besides the contract with Jazz doesn't begin until the winter. Didn't Aurela do some work for TCX last summer ? Maybe they will be doing a fair bit more.

stansdead
6th Apr 2010, 19:25
Oof, Aurela.... Not sure about them from what I've seen... But that can't be repeated here. Mind you, the girls were pretty.

Mimiben
6th Apr 2010, 19:38
Aurela... hum... I dont know why, I got a feeling. Sorry cant say more ;)

backofthedrag
7th Apr 2010, 08:35
It will be no surprise to TCX that Skyservice failed as they own Sunquest . The reciprocal arrangement whereby aircraft and crews went from one to the other, with the seasons, cannot now exist , and therefore , if Canadian pilots come over to work out of the UK for a UK Company , thereby depriving qualified UK pilots of work , it would have to be under a different arrangement.

TCX pilots have, in the past , voted to take industrial action to stop this transfer , but it all fizzled out as no TCX guys were affected in the end.

However , British pilots are now affected without any chance of reciprocity . The aircraft cannot come over on the Canadian register as the AOC is now defunct and the Canadians will have to apply for work permits and UK /EU validations whilst many Brits are out of work.