PDA

View Full Version : transferring email info and internet favourites to a new PC.

magpienja
5th Apr 2010, 14:03
Hi guys, I did know how to do this but for the life of me I cannot remember must have been quite a few years since I last had to do it,

Anyway I use Outlook Express for email, can anybody remind me how I save all my old mail and address book info, to be able to put it all on a new PC both run XP,

And also what's the method of transferring all my internet favourites or bookmarked web sites, I can use IE8 and Firefox.

Nick.

Bruce Wayne
5th Apr 2010, 14:36
A couple of ways..

favorites

go to c:
- documents and settings
- (user/log on / account name)
- Favorites folder in here (drag and drop it onto an external or USB drive or whatever medium

on the new pc drop the favorites folder into the appropriate folder (vista is about the same place windows 7 not sure)

i tend to organize my favorites folders from here as it's easier and quicker.

ourlook express not sure about but for outlook search for "*.pst" files it'll give you the outlook folder, drop that whole folder onto your usb/ external drive and on your new, after installing outlook replace the pst files with the ones from your old computer and you wil lhave the email archive.

essentially in outlook, the emails are stored in a .pst file for each account so copying that pst folder over will give you all your archived emails. (i have all my business ones archived since 2003) also i have a program called genie outlook back up manager which allows you to back up and reinstall outlook and all settings (across to a new pc too)

batninth
5th Apr 2010, 14:37
magpienja

With respect to Outlook Express, I'd suggest you tTake a look at the Microsoft support article here. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670)I can't recall if I used that article, or one of the ones referenced on the right hand side of the page. Either way, if you look around you'll see a KB article telling you how to do that.

For IE, I just copied the favorites folder over, you chase down the Documents & Settings folder & you'll find it.

For Firefox I exported the favorites as an HTML & then imported them on the new machine.

When you go to the new IE & Firefox, you'll most likely find your favorites links in alphabetic order. If you're grumpy old s*d like me the feel free to rant at it :hmm:

Capetonian
5th Apr 2010, 14:40
I'm about to do the same.

Just a word of warning. If your new machine has W7, be aware that Outlook Express, which I have been happily using on XP, is not supported by W7 and you will have to migrate to their horrid Windows Live Mail, (or Mozilla Thunderbird). I expect it is possible to export the stuff from OE to Live Mail but I'm paying someone £50/hour to do all this for me as I learnt a long time ago it's cheaper to pay a professional to get it right first time than to screw it up yourself.

ian16th
5th Apr 2010, 20:29
Capetonian,

You are now at the point where you should ditch Micro$oft Lookout Distress.

Install Moz Thunderbird on your old system and 'import' all of your e-mails from Lookout Distress, locate and copy all of the files to a CD, DVD or thumb drive.

Install the same Moz Thunderbird on your new system and copy your files to that system. :ok:

magpienja
6th Apr 2010, 21:11
batninth many thanks for that link it was quite straight forward from that,

And thank everybody else all sorted now bloody computers.

Nick.