PDA

View Full Version : Dare I ask about trying to get a job in the EU?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
5th Apr 2010, 11:44
Hi folks,

I won't waste your time. I've done a search of this forum but have not found my answer.

My wife and our children both have UK passports (citizens) and I am an dual Australian/US citizen. I've got an Australian CPL, about 1,370 hours total time, 200 Multi-Engine, M.E. Instrument Rating and will soon have completed the Australian ATPL exam. What are my chances and hurdles to gaining employment with an operator in the EU?

Thanks in advance,

FRQ CB

Blinkz
5th Apr 2010, 11:59
Well for a start you will need a JAA licence.....so until then zero. Once you have the JAA licence.....well sadly still pretty much zero :{

MrBernoulli
5th Apr 2010, 12:05
Hurdle 1 (but not insurmountable) - you'll need to obtain/convert your license to a JAA/JAR/whatever-they-are-calling-it-these-days version.

Hurdle 2 - Right now there are precious few professional pilot jobs available in Europe, and of those that are available, the Ts & Cs will need very careful examination if you don't want to get suckered in to something awful. Don't assume, ever, and ask deep and searching questions about everything.

Good luck.

Pilot Positive
5th Apr 2010, 12:07
The EU market, especially in the UK, is quite tough. Not sure what its like in Oz?

The best thing you can do is to contact the CAA and check conversion requirements and even contact an FTO for an additional perspective.

You have some quite useful ME time - more than a lot of low houred ab initio guys so, depends on how you look, there could be something out there for you.

Good luck :ok:

redsnail
5th Apr 2010, 12:37
First and foremost, get your Australian ATPL completed.
Licensing authorities will only "transfer" licences, not exams.

To convert, as stated above, you'll need to do the 14 JAA exams.
Best recommendation is to do it via Bristol Ground School & distance learning.
The UK CAA has published a guide called "LASORS". Download that and read it to your heart's content. (It's great for insomnia too ;)

Assuming you'll pass the medical, after the exams, next thing is the flying.

You have a choice of either paying for a type rating and conducting the LST with a CAA observer (expensive option) or doing the piston flying for the CPL and IR. I did the former as I already had 500 hours multicrew and could get an ATPL straight away.

Interestingly, Virgin Blue etc are recruiting at the moment. In the UK, pretty much the only recruitment is for those who are willing to buy their 6 month job...

However, by the time you finish all the exams etc, plan about 2 years, the market will be (hopefully) much better. :ok:

Adios
5th Apr 2010, 12:46
Redsnail,

2 Years to do JAA conversion? I have a friend who just did it in 8 months. I'd say 8-12 months is more the norm.

Given the lack of UK/EU jobs, it might be wise to spread it over 2 years though, so maybe that is what you are suggesting.

oscar717
5th Apr 2010, 12:57
If you are allowed to work in USA i would rather convert your AUS licence to an FAA and look for a job in the States.

Founder
5th Apr 2010, 13:03
I notised most people replying were from the UK and the speak about the EU, there are jobs in Europe IF you speak any other language than English...

Wizz, Air Berlin, German Wings, Thomas Cook Belgium / Scandinavia are some of the companies hiring right now... But only english is no good there...

Nightfire
5th Apr 2010, 15:14
Well, the only chance somebody from Oz has would be in the UK. Most other countries require you to speak the local language fluently, plus at least ICAO level 4 English. The latter being no problem, but being fluent in German, Spanish, French etc. may be.

Aussie
6th Apr 2010, 03:04
Even operators like Wizzair which would take you with only english, have req that far exceed yours... Sorry to say mate. I have a few mates trying with Wizz, and they have over 2000hrs jet time. Gotta be in it to win it though :)

redsnail
6th Apr 2010, 07:31
Adios, that is exactly what I am suggesting. :ok:

flyhelico
7th Apr 2010, 03:41
in the USA, minimum for first flight officer will be soon 1500h.
in 2 years, they will struggle to find guys. pay will go up.(2000-2500$ I think)

I would convert to a FAA license.

Aussie
7th Apr 2010, 05:50
hahaha, nice post mate. Hope that does happen, but i dont think the USA is looking up at this stage.

747JJ
7th Apr 2010, 07:31
The first thing you should think is how to legalise your immigration status in Europe. If you have a wife that holds UK passport, that would give you a right with proper visa and application process to work in UK. However most of Europe tends to be part of the Schengen agreement and alas you would need to obtain a schengen visa (D or D+C) to work and be based outside UK. Your family connection would not help as UK is not part of the Schengen and unless you have immediate family holding passports from those countries you would not be qualified.You could try to find a company to organise that for you, but I fail to see why as there are hunderds of pilots without a job that do not need any extra help.

Once you have cleared the immigration issues you can start working on your European licences.

mad2fly
8th Apr 2010, 15:00
What you are asking is not impossible and much easier if you aren't set on airline work.

I am a US citizen working in Europe. My wife and children are EU/EEA citizens so I obtained an EEA family member Visa through the UK consulate in Chicago. That was just a matter of getting my finger prints, filling out some paper work and visiting the consulate for an interview. The entire process took less than a month. I now fly for a company with Isle of Man registered aircraft.

If you are hired to fly an M reg aircraft then you would have to get the type rating on your Australian license then get an Isle of Man authorization for that aircraft. The same holds true for many other private aircraft being flown in Europe on various other registries.

Granted I had quite a bit more time than you but many times corporate operators are willing to take on lower time pilots that are looking to stay with them and not jump ship for the airlines.

Good luck,