PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter principles of flight advice welcomed

eurocopter beans
31st Aug 2008, 14:09
Can anyone out there recommend a good website that explains Heli Principles of flight? Specifically im looking for a site that clearly and simply explains the process of cyclic input and it results on the blades (this includes phase lag, hooks joint efect, rate of flapping and conservation of angular momentum), i have this info but it is poorly explained and diagrammed, any suggestions would be appreciated as i am willing to explain how helis fly as witchcraft

eurocopter beans
31st Aug 2008, 14:16
excellent, cheers

dragqueen120
5th Apr 2010, 11:25
Hello and merry easter etc. I have PoF H tomorrow and wondered if any people here have recently took this examination and wx or not its mainly Bristol or not?

(I am learning the theory in detail but it is bloody handy to use Bristol if you know the exam is pretty similar)

TTFN:ok:

Need money
5th Apr 2010, 11:45
I have not taken it recently - but most of the exams are "mainly Bristol"...

dragqueen120
5th Apr 2010, 19:12
ok.....I shall keep the fingers crossed.

PENNINE BOY
5th Apr 2010, 21:47
Did the exam last October, if you have been bashing the bristol data bank exams you will have no problems.

Good Luck! :ok:

dragqueen120
5th Apr 2010, 22:03
cheers matey

Hopadopter
6th Apr 2010, 03:57
Pof (H) is definately a Bristol exam. The bank is only around 300 questions. Im ashamed to say it as one would think it should be the one subject as a helo pilot you would be determined to study for. However we are all products of the system. Plus alot of the questions are classic examples of "JAA English" so knowing the subject matter is not always helpful!!:ugh:

General Mutley
6th Apr 2010, 09:59
Bristol all the way - pretty much identical

miket_68
6th Apr 2010, 20:58
After taking the Bristol brush up and bashing the QB,

94%, my best score yet,

The lack of questions will help for the crammers, but the fact the subject is the reason we dont crash (or do) it should all be 'in there somwhere'.

MT

GREGCART
23rd May 2010, 13:47
Hi folks!

Need some help to get the 082 (principles of flight helicopter). After two failures I am looking for good tips, aviationexam? bristol?? wich one has a good JAA question data base?
Thanks for your help guys.
Greg

DBChopper
23rd May 2010, 14:29
Greg,

Have you been using an online question bank up 'til now?

Bristol Groundschool's ATP online worked well for me, along with pretty much everyone else I know :ok:

Glimmer_up
24th May 2010, 09:30
Greg,

Online databases are all well and good, however, you can't beat some decent classroom instruction.

Principles of Flight for helicopters is a meaty subject but if taught well will provide you with a professional knowledge-base that is essential for a career in helicopters.

Too many people fall into the trap of memorising the online database just to pass the exam but miss out later on in their careers with a lack of decent understanding of the subject.

That said, Bristol database worked for me and everyone I work with. The standard of instruction at the school is first rate. :ok:

good luck.

thecontroller
24th May 2010, 12:59
Just memorise the Bristol question bank. Thats all I did. Some of the questions are badly worded and some are just plain wrong, so if you try to figure the answers out logically, you'll get it wrong. See also here maybe

Principles of Flight (Helicopters) - ATP Forum (http://www.atpforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=36&page=1&pp=20&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1)

paco
24th May 2010, 13:58
There's now a replacement for Wagtendonk for those who find it rather chewy:

Helicopter Principles Of Flight (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation/#HPOF)

Phil

Winnie
25th May 2010, 12:57
And I can comment on the replacement!

It is really good, and is now what I use for my school!

The illustrations and 'drawings' are much clearer, the explanations are in a more easily understood language, and it up to date!

Cheers
H.

Edit: added para

paco
25th May 2010, 13:00
Gee, thanks W - where do I send the cheque? :) Just done a few more graphics and editing, will send another copy soonest.

Phil