PDA

View Full Version : The Class 2 Medical - I'm dreading it!!!

Turbsy
15th Jul 2001, 14:10
Hi all,

Iam 18 and have always wanted to make flying my career. Currently doing the PPL, Iam only a few weeks from my first solo.

I believe in order to fly solo, you have to have a Student PPL and of course a pass in the class 2 medical.

I suffer a bit from rhinitis and sinusitis. Nothing major, always worse in the summer months. I can fly with it and have never had any problems flying with a bit of a stuffed up nose. A steam inhalation certainly helps when it is at its worst.

After reading about the JAR Class 2 requirements, I just can't believe how close it looks to a Class 1. I know I will have to get a class 1 in another year or so but for the moment I just want to be able to know that I can pass a Class 2 and hence fly privatly, if things don't work out with a Class 1.

I am most worried about:

a) An applicant for or holder of a Class 2 medical certificate shall not possess any abnormality of the function of the ears, nose, sinuses, or throat (including oral cavity, teeth and larynx), or any active pathological condition, congenital or acquired, acute or chronic, or any sequela of surgery and trauma which is likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the applicable licence(s).

(d) Presence of any of the following disorders in an applicant shall result in an unfit assessment.

4) Significant restriction of the nasal air passage on either side, or any dysfunction of the sinuses.

Is anyone else in a similar situation to me?
Has anyone any advice, info about going for the Class 2 medical?

Im just worried because I want to fly at least privatly and there are so many things mentioned in the Class 2 medical, I haven't got a clue whether I'd pass or fail them.

Thanks,
Best wishes,

S105

[ 15 July 2001: Message edited by: Shamrock 105 ]

VFE
16th Jul 2001, 02:33
Hey mate - try and relax a little. It is surprising what is accepted in order to get a class 1 and 2 medical. I was surprised to see the points you quoted in your post from CAA literature.
The way I see it is: if you don't make to much fuss about your sinuses then you're more likely to be onto a winner. As far as I can remember from my initial class 1, they just looked up my snitch with a torch.

I know you have to declare previous medical problems on the forms so I wouldn't suggest lying but if you can make your problems seem like a small issue to you then things have a better chance of going in your favour.

Let us know the outcome and good luck.

VFE.

Turbsy
16th Jul 2001, 15:00
Thanks for that VFE, I'll certainly take note of your advice.

Cheers,
S105

kabz
16th Jul 2001, 22:55
I guess the sinus thing is just to ensure that you are not stricken with acute pain on descending from 6000 feet...

I sometimes have to blow to equalise the pressure and was a bit worried about this. However, on about my third lesson, descending from quite high up, my instructor did exactly what I had to do, held nose and blew gently...

I stopped worrying at that point.

NigelS
17th Jul 2001, 18:17
Don't worry. I have had an allergic rhinitis in the past and nasal polyps (which were later removed). I told my about ME this and he wasn't bothered in the slightest. My advice though is if you have airway, don't make a big deal over it. Rhinitis is resolvable, will not hinder your ability to function, and there are plenty OTC drugs available to sort it out. Go have the examination and don't worry. If your nervous system is in order, your ECG looks good, and there's nothing wrong with your blood or urine then you're home and dry...

Enjoy your aviation career.

Good luck

Nige

Turbsy
17th Jul 2001, 21:56
Thanks for your info and advice kabz and Nige, I'm certainly less nervous about the medical now as I think there isn't anything else wrong with my health apart from some rhinitis.

Thanks again,
Best wishes,

S105