PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 strobe test question ?

buster172
2nd Sep 2001, 20:58
I have recently been to Gatwick for my class 1 medical and have a question regarding the strobe test.

I felt fine throughout the test, however I did find it hard to keep my eyes from closing during the later stages of the strobe. This made my eyes water a little as I was trying quite hard to keep them open.

Did any one else experience this ? I mean it's not normal to have a light that close to your face so surely it's just a reflex to want to close your eyes ?

All in all I felt fine throughout and its just this that worries me as the nurse said "you didnt like that much did you"

Any sujestions or thoughts would be appreciated as I am a little concerned !

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/views

buster

window-seat
3rd Sep 2001, 00:34
Hi buster,

I had the test a couple of weeks ago. It made me feel ready for a kip! :o (they should put some rave music on at the same time)!! :D

Im not sure how you are supposed to react, but I passed without any probs. (not sure it is the best test to have straight before the Eye examination though)!!

Sure you'll be fine. (i was told that there was a brain in my head)! ;)

buster172
3rd Sep 2001, 01:07
Hi window-seat,

Thanks for your reply, I feel a little better now, it's just I really, really want to pass for obvious reasons .

Congratulations on your passing, and all the best for the future. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

buster

moist
11th Sep 2001, 16:50
I have it on VERY GOOD authority that:

THE REQUIREMENT FOR AN EEG HAS NOW BEEN REMOVED FROM A JAR INITIAL CLASS I MEDICAL.

This is new news, so new that the CAA hasn't probably had time to publish it.

Now there might be hope for those that have failed their EEG in the past as the CAA are about to review each case on it's own merit.

Good luck all!!!!!

[ 11 September 2001: Message edited by: moist ]

Racer-X
13th Sep 2001, 03:35
From what i know (it may not be true), the strobe test is to test you for the possibility of siezures.

It is known that different frequencies of light pulses can cause the brain to enter a siezure, not good when you are flying an aircraft. So the strobe simply tests if you will succumb to such a problem.. i doubt that they care if u didn't like the light right up in your face, i wasn't too impressed with it either!

MightyGem
17th Sep 2001, 06:54
The strobe test is actually quite valid if you are going for a helicopter license. There have been a number of cases of passengers having seizures due to the flicker from the blades.