PDA

View Full Version : Laser Treatment

Final Destination
22nd May 2001, 18:51
Anyone know how the CAA would react to Laser Treatment to the eyes.
I currently have a class 1 medical (which I just got cos of my eyes being close to the limits) and was hoping to correct my vision permenantly. Also anyone know on the long term quality of your eyes after laser treatment.
Thanks FD. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Dupre
23rd May 2001, 18:38
I remember there being a ton of discussion on this subject before - check older messages.

If i remember right, the consensus was that the CAA does NOT like laser surgery - and i think there was something about there being a mandatory 5 years with no medical to prove your eyes are stable - not sure about that bit tho'.

Is the limit not about to be changed from -3D to no limit as long as it's correctable?? That's how it is in NZ, Ozzie and the USA i believe - I thought there were plans to change it in the UK too. . .

Rogaine addict
24th May 2001, 10:56
Don't know how different CAA requirements are than FAA. A few weeks after my LASIK, I had 20/20 and was released by my DR.(optometrist and opthamolagist) to return to work. The only other requirement was for my DR. to complete a form 8040 for me to take to my next FAA medical. ALPA aeromedical recommended that I send the form to them for review and get acknowledgment from the FAA before returning to work (just a CYA thing and not required). Good luck

Final Destination
26th May 2001, 15:15
Thanks guys for the replies.

12 Scoops
29th May 2001, 00:32
I have the unaided vision of Mr Magoo, when I mentioned laser treatment to my AME, he turned purple and his head rotated thru 360 degrees.
The CAA medical branch are sceptical about the long term benefits of such treatment, and as has been suggested, will not issue a medical certificate for a specific period after the treatment.