PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Business Travel rebounding

astroboy55
4th Apr 2010, 15:42
For those who thought QF Mainline was dead and jetstar was taking over the world, an alternative view.....
Lets hope it all translates into movement among the ranks.
Cheers

Qantas expects to fly high on corporate rebound
Steve Creedy, Aviation writer From: The Australian April 05, 2010 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email
AVIATION: Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce says business travellers are returning to the airline and he predicts the group's mainline operations will regain their crown as the most profitable within a year to 18 months.

Mr Joyce said domestic yields topped year-ago figures for the first time in December and international yields followed suit in February.

The Qantas figures come as new International Air transport Association figures show that international global airline traffic is now just 1.4 per cent below pre-recession levels and IATA predicts it will be above that within two to three months. The improvement is allowing airlines and their alliances to increase some of the artificially low fares seen last year.

Mr Joyce said two-for-one sales introduced early last year to stimulate demand had worked their way through the system and the airline was now seeing normal sales, with the business market recovering in line with expectations.

He said Qantas had kept its 80 per cent share of the business market through the global financial crisis and still had 600 managed corporate accounts.

But the corporate market shrank as business people travelled less and downgraded to economy. As a result, Qantas's yield premium against Virgin fell from 30 to 40 per cent before the downturn to about 15 per cent in the first half.

"And what we're seeing now is that, in our intakes, that's been restored and I've absolute confidence that the most profitable business domestically, the way this is returning, within the next year to 18 months, will be Qantas mainline," he said.

Qantas has announced that it will boost its mainline domestic capacity by 3 per cent this year and it is looking at growth opportunities for its QantasLink regional operations.

But the international business is looking more problematic and Mr Joyce said it was still not a case of one speed fits all.

He said the replacement of Boeing 747s with bigger 450-seat A380s, six of which are in service with five more arriving in the next financial year, would add capacity on London and Los Angeles routes.

Qantas had upgraded its services to Japan with a Boeing 747-400, and the Chinese market was also improving.

"China, I think, is a great opportunity for the group," he said. "And I think Hong Kong is also in that category."

STEVE CREEDY

woftam
4th Apr 2010, 22:37
Yes, the rebound should coincide perfectly with the removal of premium seats. :ugh:

Lucius Vorenus
5th Apr 2010, 00:56
"China, I think, is a great opportunity for the group," he said. "And I think Hong Kong is also in that category."Gosh, who would have thunk it? Now that JB has gone his ideas are no longer wrong. But perhaps he will beat QF/JQ to China yet?

LV.

MyerFlyer
5th Apr 2010, 07:35
Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce says business travellers are returning to the airline and he predicts the group's mainline operations will regain their crown as the most profitable within a year to 18 months.

Mr Joyce said domestic yields topped year-ago figures for the first time in December and international yields followed suit in February.
The Qantas figures come as new International Air transport Association figures show that international global airline traffic is now just 1.4 per cent below pre-recession levels and IATA predicts it will be above that within two to three months. The improvement is allowing airlines and their alliances to increase some of the artificially low fares seen last year.

Mr Joyce said two-for-one sales introduced early last year to stimulate demand had worked their way through the system and the airline was now seeing normal sales, with the business market recovering in line with expectations.

He said Qantas had kept its 80 per cent share of the business market through the global financial crisis and still had 600 managed corporate accounts.

But the corporate market shrank as business people travelled less and downgraded to economy. As a result, Qantas's yield premium against Virgin fell from 30 to 40 per cent before the downturn to about 15 per cent in the first half.

"And what we're seeing now is that, in our intakes, that's been restored and I've absolute confidence that the most profitable business domestically, the way this is returning, within the next year to 18 months, will be Qantas mainline," he said.

Qantas has announced that it will boost its mainline domestic capacity by 3 per cent this year and it is looking at growth opportunities for its QantasLink regional operations.

But the international business is looking more problematic and Mr Joyce said it was still not a case of one speed fits all.

He said the replacement of Boeing 747s with bigger 450-seat A380s, six of which are in service with five more arriving in the next financial year, would add capacity on London and Los Angeles routes.

Qantas had upgraded its services to Japan with a Boeing 747-400, and the Chinese market was also improving.

"China, I think, is a great opportunity for the group," he said. "And I think Hong Kong is also in that category"

Wow maybe some Intl expansion might be planned?

rescue 1
5th Apr 2010, 07:54
maybe a well deserved bonus may come our way!!!

Why is there always negativity around CEO's? Granted they do seemingly earn ridiculous salaries, but nonetheless they are on the job 24/7, get the blame when the airline goes belley up, get the blame when anything goes wrong!

Lots of knockers; not many knocking on the door to take on the job. :ugh:

apache
5th Apr 2010, 09:54
I'll do it!
I shall take a 5 year contract, with a clause regarding "consulting" at the end of my tenure.
I shall get a salary of $4million p.a plus bonusses of up to $4 million (i am not greedy)

in 5 years I will have earnt $40 million. this is approx 10 times more than I could earn in a lifetime flying. I will NOT be held responsible for EVERY little decision I make. I will NOT have to grovel every couple of years for a 3% pay rise in line with, or below CPI rise. I will NOT have to give up any terms or conditions in return for a measly pay rise. I will NOT have to sweat 3-4 times a year as to whether or not my skills are still top notch. I will NOT have to pass a medical every 6-12 months where i get probed and interrogated to justify why i should be allowed to continue to ply my skills.

As CEO, I can blame others for the decision I have implemented. I have free access to top pollies and the press, so can share my "point of view' in an unbiased fashion. I will get free travel for life, WITHOUT QUESTION or justification. I will NOT be subject to "random" drug and alcohol testing which is NOT 100% conclusive.

IF the airline goes bad, i will STILL get my bonus and /or share options.

5 years??? where do i sign up?

Cactusjack
5th Apr 2010, 11:58
apache,
Sorry my friend,I have trumped you.I will sign up on those same conditions for 10 years.Lock me in Eddie.

Taildragger67
6th Apr 2010, 06:54
"China, I think, is a great opportunity for the group,"... :hmm:

skybed
8th Apr 2010, 00:51
cancer continues to spread in the not so distance future.....watch this space :yuk: