PDA

View Full Version : Arrows Collision

BOAC
4th Apr 2010, 09:37
Old thread closed, so,

Any news of the two pilots and how the team is planning to proceed?

The B Word
5th Apr 2010, 19:32
Both pilots OK. One with a few "bumps and bruises" from Martin Baker's best. I understand that an old soak is being "parachuted" in as the injured chap won't make a recovery in time for this season - rumour only...

fantom
5th Apr 2010, 19:37
Might be you BOAC...

stackedup
5th Apr 2010, 20:44
When the same thing happened in 1984? they flew the season with eight ac. It seemed they didn't have a spare frame. Have things now improved to the extent of spare ac ?

The B Word
5th Apr 2010, 20:49
Not very up-to-date (as XX233 is on the list) but it would appear that they have plenty...see link

Friends of the Red Arrows -- Reds Hawk Fleet (http://www.harrierlist.co.uk/FRA/fleet.htm)

Steve the Pirate
6th Apr 2010, 09:42
stackedup

I think they flew the whole '84 season as a nine ship.

STP

BOAC
6th Apr 2010, 10:34
fantom - steady on with the 'old' bit...................:)

They cannot be THAT desperate

Green Flash
6th Apr 2010, 10:59
As I understand it there are 20+(?) Hawks in the sheds at EGOS nominated as future Reds. So as long as they can get a new smoke tank bolted on and the stick switches wired up they should have the full 9. It might not be coloured red (initially) but they should have a full set of cabs? Getting an up-to-speed driver is another game, however. Good luck to all concerned and best wishes to everyone involved and they get fit and flying in short order.

Megaton
6th Apr 2010, 11:36
It takes a lot more work to modify a standard Hawk to Reds standard than sticking a pod on and wiring up the cockpit. When XX242 was modified it took BAeS many months to plan, manufacture and fit the pipework associated with the smoke system.

The Oberon
6th Apr 2010, 12:10
Other than the smoke and paint, are any other mods done, control throws etc ? just curious.

Green Flash
6th Apr 2010, 12:14
Ham

Thanks, I bow to your better knowledge and stand corrected. I'm a little surprised that there is not a Red11?

champair79
6th Apr 2010, 12:14
Modification to the engine to give a slightly faster response time. Not sure how much work that involves. Also, the paint job. Probably more but I don't know about them.

Megaton
6th Apr 2010, 12:44
Radios, fuel control unit (FCU), front cockpit GPS, more headroom in front cockpit (all right I made that one up :p) and I'm sure there are a few others.

champair79
6th Apr 2010, 14:05
There are (was) 13 hawks for the RAFAT. With one downed and the other crippled, it's now 11.

Red's 1-9 are the display pilots, Red 10 is Road Manager (commentator, coordinates with bos during display, flies hawk for photo ops for the main 9-ship etc.) and then Red 11 (don't ask me what his job is!). No back-up display pilots as they would never be able to replicate the high standards required in each position of the formation.

Hope that answers your question Green Flash. Wasn't sure if you were talking about the aircraft or the pilots :)

Gainesy
6th Apr 2010, 14:39
it took BAeS many months to plan, manufacture and fit the pipework associated with the smoke system.

Nah, waaay to easy.:)

What is different about the radio fit?

scarecrow450
6th Apr 2010, 17:26
As I understand it there are 20+(?) Hawks in the sheds at EGOS nominated as future Reds.

not quite 20 but at least 9 are going to be modded for RA's newer cabs

Green Flash
6th Apr 2010, 22:07
champ/crow

Thanks for the info. Yes, I meant cabs not pilots allthough I wasn't aware that Red11 actually existed! Presume 10 and 11, not being required to be display machines, can be sub'd by standard Hawks for the duration whilst they get another two ready?

Megaton
6th Apr 2010, 22:16
R11 is the Wg Cdr and not technically a bona fide member of the inner circle. Reds 10 and 11 were spare jets so were, ideally, fully modified although an unmodified XX156 was borrowed from Valley in times of need.

champair79
7th Apr 2010, 05:48
I guess so. The fact that Reds 10 and 11 fly the RA Hawk is simply making use of the squadrons available aircraft so flying a standard one shouldn't hurt too much. The aircraft all get rotated around between flying members anyway as mx checks and technical issues crop up. Specific aircraft are not assigned to each pilot although each pilot has his own preferred ship. There are still enough hawks in the fleet to be able to fly the 9-ship although I'm sure plans are being fast-tracked to bring 1 or 2 aircraft from Shawbury into RA service pronto.

Was it XX253 and 233 involved in the crash?

The Oberon
7th Apr 2010, 17:30
Red Hawk buzzing around Scampton 16.45 this afternoon. Replacement airtest perhaps ?
How would he get out to Cyprus, as a singleton, or what would accompany him ?

Thelma Viaduct
7th Apr 2010, 21:54
I saw the Red Arrows last year and was expecting the usual cheesy display.

I came away with a different impression, it was one of the best displays I've ever seen. Maybe not as low & loud as the blue angels, but definitely the best reds display I've witnessed.

I hope they can sort things out and get flying again.

spekesoftly
8th Apr 2010, 02:22
are any other mods done, Yep, the removal of fuse 13.

Oh hang on, no, that was on the Gnat! :p

longer ron
8th Apr 2010, 04:22
Quote:
it took BAeS many months to plan, manufacture and fit the pipework associated with the smoke system.
Nah, waaay to easy.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

What is different about the radio fit?

Have you done some Red Arrows smoke mod conversions then Gainsey ??

cornish-stormrider
8th Apr 2010, 07:53
you forgot the cupholder and installed rapid deploy set of golf bats:E

How is busted shoulder stick monkey doing??? (banter, I'm an ex sootie with a chip or two)
Hope he's up and about - he needs to be fixing a jet:},

Seriously, I do hope he'll be back to turning avtur into noise and overtime very very soon.

Still, look on the bright side - both crew survived, can't ask for more than that.

CHINOOKER
8th Apr 2010, 08:45
A Hawk left Scampton this morning and routed out via Dover/Koksijde....presume this is a replacement/extra spare for the Reds being delivered

champair79
8th Apr 2010, 09:25
I'm guessing so since they tend to take 11 Hawks to Cyprus but only took 10 to Crete. Also they need a spare aircraft anyway following the accident. Any news on what's happening with the team? It's all gone very quiet on the news front.

FlapJackMuncher
8th Apr 2010, 10:27
No flying atm.
Meet & greet next Monday at Aki mess.

5 Forward 6 Back
8th Apr 2010, 13:30
I can't imagine there's any way you could draft in a replacement synchro leader; surely it's the most demanding position on the team after number 1? Given that some people have mentioned that Lingy's been advised to rest his shoulder for 6 weeks, I'd guess it'd take longer than that to train a replacement.

Total wild guessing here, but I'd say if anything was going to happen it'd be a delay to the start of the season while he recovers?

Jackonicko
8th Apr 2010, 13:41
Unless a recent ex-Synchro lead can be drafted back?

6 Sqn Ldr B D Murphy (2009)
6 Flt Lt P O’Grady (2008)
6 Sqn Ldr J H Turner (2007)
6 Flt Lt S D Stevens (2006)

champair79
8th Apr 2010, 14:30
Well last years synchro leader is this years team leader whicj throws a big spanner in the works! Any of the others listed above are probably too much out of practice (and busy!?) to warrant asking them back especially if Red 6 is only going to be out for 6 weeks. Granted he will be behind on training but this can be caught up with OSP's at Scampton. They train to fly 8-ship formations anyway incase of illnesses, bereavements or injury so the first part of the season will probably just be flown with the 8, with Red 7 doing some solo passes. All IMHO of course and we can all speculate until we hear something.

hurn
8th Apr 2010, 15:48
Wouldn't the Board of Inquiry (or whatever it's called) have to come to a conclusion about the accident before synchro can resume training?

H Peacock
8th Apr 2010, 22:16
I can't imagine there's any way you could draft in a replacement synchro leader; surely it's the most demanding position on the team after number 1? Given that some people have mentioned that Lingy's been advised to rest his shoulder for 6 weeks, I'd guess it'd take longer than that to train a replacement.

Total wild guessing here, but I'd say if anything was going to happen it'd be a delay to the start of the season while he recovers?

Think you'll find a new Red 6 is being worked up ready to join the team as we speak. All round good effort, but I hope Lingy gets back in the air where he clearly belongs ASAP! :D

pma 32dd
9th Apr 2010, 15:19
Just out of interest from a purely piloting technique - how do they plan to miss during the synchro cross (chopped at Valley here!)?

TVM

Pure Pursuit
9th Apr 2010, 21:17
6 flies a predictable path with 7 being responsible for remaining clear.

Not all all suggesting that Monty was to blame, that is just the normal state of play & I have no idea what went wrong on the day. They both walked away so I'm sure they've thrashed it out & will overcome the issue.

DBTW
9th Apr 2010, 22:03
Regardless of BoI findings, actual blame or cause, there was a time where a Red Arrow member could not return to the team if they were involved in an accident. Has this policy changed?

In the past, accidents led to smaller display teams for the rest of the season. Wasn't the Red Arrow display season even cancelled back in the late 80's after a string of unfortunate incidents?

Only asking...:confused:

pma 32dd
10th Apr 2010, 09:06
PP thank you

robins1
10th Apr 2010, 14:12
On a slightly more serious note, i watched the video of the collision and it appears to me that the pilot of the crashed aircraft did a remarkable job of ejecting before it hit the ground. I would have time to go oh sh**, before the earth came up to meet me!! This got me thinking, does time slow down for fast jet pilots when flying in close formation? Has any research been done into whether the brain physically changes ie: neuro-, transmitters reacting faster etc, be interesting to see brain scans to compare with airline pilots say on a long haul flight. Bit too difficult to get the scanners into a Hawk i guess but an interesting concept.

Redcarpet
10th Apr 2010, 17:57
On the large amount of long haul flying I've done, my brain activity could be measured using the Glasgow Coma Scale. ;)

FFP
10th Apr 2010, 18:12
Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror ;)

champair79
13th Apr 2010, 22:59
Update scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday 14th April). Stay tuned to official website.

neildo
14th Apr 2010, 08:55
Red 6 & Synchro Leader - Flight Lieutenant Paul ‘Pablo’ O’Grady
Age – 33

Pablo flew the Typhoon before joining the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team.

Education – He attended St. Aidan’s High School in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, and was a member of 58 (Harrogate) Squadron Air Training Corps. After being awarded a Royal Air Force Sixth Form Scholarship he went onto complete his A – Levels.
Career – Joined the Royal Air Force in 1996. After completing flying training Pablo was posted to Royal Air Force Linton-on-Ouse as a qualified flying instructor where he taught students on the Tucano aircraft.
Following completion of Tactical Weapons Training, he was selected to fly the Jaguar GR3A; one of the Royal Air Force’s single-seat ground attack and reconnaissance aircraft.
In 2006 Pablo joined the Red Arrows, Flying as Synchro Leader for his last year in 2008. Upon completion of his three year tour with the Red Arrows, Pablo was posted to XI Squadron which is equipped with the RAF’s newest, most technologically advanced multi-role jet, the Typhoon.
Due to Pablo’s exceptional skills and performance during his time on the Team he has been requested to re-join for 2010, to replace the injured Flight Lieutenant Mike Ling, and becomes the first Typhoon pilot on the Red Arrows.
Background – Pablo first discovered a passion for flying in the Air Training Corps. In his spare time Pablo enjoys windsurfing, mountain biking and skiing. Pablo currently lives in Stamford with his wife Claire and dog Henry.

From their facebook...

maliyahsdad2
14th Apr 2010, 09:03
Sad to hear the Reds will not be at the Southend Air Festival this year and will not be displaying until 16th june.
Hope the guys are recovering well.

hurn
14th Apr 2010, 09:26
Glad to hear the Reds will still be flying a nine ship this year, albeit with a slightly delayed start to the season. :D

Evanelpus
14th Apr 2010, 10:45
Sad to hear the Reds will not be at the Southend Air Festival this year and will not be displaying until 16th june.

Another dreary Southend Airshow in prospect then. Won't bother this year, the last few have either been washouts weatherwise or washouts due to inferior display items.

sitigeltfel
14th Apr 2010, 10:48
The Patrouille de France lost one their aircraft yesterday in an accident close to the Plan de Dieu airfield. The pilot ejected successfully and suffered minor injuries and burns. Photos in the local press show him being treated by firefighters and medics at the edge of the crash fireball.

Vaucluse : un avion de la Patrouille de France s'est crashé | La Provence (http://www.laprovence.com/article/region/vaucluse-un-avion-de-la-patrouille-de-france-sest-crashe)

dropintheoggin
14th Apr 2010, 11:06
So Reds, Brazilians and now PAF. They say they come in 3's. Sorry the Brazilian chap didn't make it out. RIP

f4aviation
14th Apr 2010, 11:59
Don't forget the Indians:

Indian Navy airshow crash kills two: key.Aero, Airshows (http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=1689&thisSection=airshow)

Or the Kiwis:

Red Checkers grounded: key.Aero, Airshows (http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=1679&thisSection=airshow)

ehwatezedoing
14th Apr 2010, 12:35
Interesting note in the French article.
They are mentioning the fact that the Patrouille de France have a spare pilot able to full fit any position but the leader's one.

How accurate this is, I don't know.

BOAC
14th Apr 2010, 17:14
Zut alors! Zat will be 'Jaques of all trades'.

I suspect they may have a 'reserve' who could be trained up to fly in one of several positions, but I very much doubt he/she could 'slot' straight in. The differences between left side(un-natural) and right side(yeah!) and the various different tweaks and fudges each slot requires would take several weeks to attain.

27mm
15th Apr 2010, 11:19
Nom, d'un chien! It is said that the Patrouille not only has a Mme in the team, but that she is also the leader - est c'est vrai?

Molemot
15th Apr 2010, 12:22
Oui, vous avez raison..

Après une année particulièrement riche en événement (tournée internationale, Salon de Dubaï,…), la PAF prépare d’ores et déjà sa série pour 2010. C’est aux ordres du leader, le commandant Virginie Guyot, première femme pilote de chasse dans le monde à prendre ce poste au sein d’une patrouille acrobatique, que la PAF sera cette année encore ambassadrice de l’armée de l’air française.
Voici donc le nouveau visage de la Patrouille de France, version 2010.
Athos 1 – Leader - Commandant Virginie Guyot
Athos 2 – Intérieur droit - Lieutenant Jean-Noël Guy
Athos 3 – Intérieur gauche - Capitaine Antoine Hauser
Athos 4 – Charognard - Capitaine Cédric Tranchon
Athos 5 – Extérieur gauche - Capitaine Georges-Eric Castaing
Athos 6 – Extérieur droit - Capitaine Paco Wallaert
Athos 7 – Leader solo - Capitaine Sylvain Pillet
Athos 8 – Second solo - Capitaine Sylvain Courtot
Athos 9 – Remplaçant - Capitaine Ludovic Bourgeon
La Patrouille de France, ambassadrice des Ailes françaises, symbole du savoir-faire aéronautique de notre pays, effectue chaque année une cinquantaine de meetings en France et à l’étranger.

27mm
15th Apr 2010, 15:03
Merci, mon brave!

sitigeltfel
15th Apr 2010, 15:08
Interesting note in the French article.
They are mentioning the fact that the Patrouille de France have a spare pilot able to full fit any position but the leader's one.

How accurate this is, I don't know.They also have twelve aircraft to chose from for the eight they require.

spekesoftly
15th Apr 2010, 15:13
They also have twelve aircraft to chose from for the eight they require.Following the loss reported in your post #45, would that be eleven aircraft to chose from? ;)

Baron rouge
15th Apr 2010, 19:12
The injured pilot was N°2 in the syncro Pair

The Patrouille de France trained again today putting a superb display in the skies of Salon de Provence, just over the airfield and the golf course were I was training with a white ball.

The spare pilot is generally a pilot in his fourth year with the Patrouille de France and has flown at least two years as one of the syncro pair.
So yes he can fly any position and he trains as much as the other eight pilots.

The leader Virginie Guyot was n°4 last season, and deputy leader of the Patrouille de France.

Unlike the rest of the alpha jets usualy used for training at the same point than the Hawk in the RAF, the PAF alpha Jets are equiped with the Martin baker MK 10 ejection seat which probably saved the pilot from that very low level ejection.
QFI's and student must contend with MK 4 !

vecvechookattack
16th Apr 2010, 11:10
Another dreary Southend Airshow in prospect

Having had vast experience of displaying at Southend I would agree with you that it is the dreariest of dreariness.

However, Those Essex girls make up for the lack of aircraft entertainment !!!!

Southend is the Bredbury Hall of the 21st century

TEEEJ
16th Apr 2010, 15:56
A message from Flight Lieutenant Ling

RAF Red Arrows - The Red Arrows Team News (http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=06E3A7DB-5056-A318-A8E40083FF1A5A74)

TJ

airsound
16th Apr 2010, 16:10
The leader Virginie Guyot was n°4 last season, and deputy leader of the Patrouille de France.

That's the way they usually do it in the Patrouille. The #4 is also known as 'charognard' (=vulture), because she/he sits on the shoulder of the leader and takes over when she/he departs.

Virginie was a recce pilot on Mirage F1CR (2/33 'Savoie' Sqn at Reims) before joining the Patrouille

airsound

AllTrimDoubt
16th Apr 2010, 18:12
...the Bredbury Hall ...

Ah! Memories!!!!

BOAC
17th Apr 2010, 15:53
Well, I raise 'mon chapeau' to the 'spare' :ok:

BOAC
1st Jun 2010, 12:31
will not be displaying until 16th june. - any news on how it is going?

Double Zero
1st Jun 2010, 13:45
It might take Wart On to take months to fit a smoke-pod to a Hawk, but at their birthplace Dunsfold, it was rather less.

I should know, as my father Stan was in charge of fitting the originals !

I would think smoke pods, not Hawks, are the rarity.

Incidentally, Reds' Hawks have a modified throttle for fine movement adjustments, I've flown in such an aircraft with an ex-Reds pilot, in very close formation with another Hawk.

Later, in my day, we were asked by an African Hawk customer if it would be OK to pipe 'Genklene' - Tricoethanol, now banned - into the jetpipe.

There ensued the fastest international phone calls in history, as this stuff when turned into pretty white smoke is Phosgene gas !

We had another request for green smoke, which led to a static Hawk trying various dyes in the basically diesel smoke pod.

Our best result was met by a seriously ballistic phone call to Dunsfold's airfield manager; it was a calm day and we'd managed to dye this woman's hanging washing bright green !

So success can be measured by various scales...

DZ

Megaton
1st Jun 2010, 16:18
Don't think the throttle was modified - was it not the Fuel Control Unit (FCU)?

Also, I believe the reason the smoke mod took so long was that each aircraft is different internally and so the mod needed accurate drawings and bespoke manufacture.

Double Zero
1st Jun 2010, 16:38
Spoken like a true Northener...

No, XX154 ( the first ) had a few minor differences, otherwise believe it or not the aircaft were built on jigs, to drawings, no Whippets involved...

Fitting any such kit on an aircraft is going to involve some curves etc, but any fitter worth his or her salt could handle that.

You seem to be expecting an Ikea ' Red Arrows installation pack ' !

longer ron
1st Jun 2010, 16:38
I did the 2 smoke conversions at Dunsfold in the mid 80's.
Cutting the 3 large holes in frame 34 took a little moral courage because the modified tailcones did not arrive until just before we delivered the a/c.
There were no jigs etc at dunsfold as istr that the original smoke conversions were done at Bitteswell,so it was a case of careful measurement and home made tooling !
Luckily the tailcones lined up very well :ok:
The conversion is relatively straight forward,but as others have alluded to - some of the components are 'long lead' items and do take a while to manufacture.
I was not allowed to attend the engine runs on the 1st a/c,and a large cloud of smoke was followed by a van racing over to me to ask how to switch the smoke 'off' :)
I laughed and said ''doesnt matter - it'll run out in a few seconds'' LOL

longer ron
1st Jun 2010, 16:45
Don't think the throttle was modified - was it not the Fuel Control Unit (FCU)?Yes i think it was the FCU and possibly also the ECA modded.

Also, I believe the reason the smoke mod took so long was that each aircraft is different internally and so the mod needed accurate drawings and bespoke manufacture. As D Zero has already confirmed,the Hawks were jig built and the main production batch had very good ICY,so any hawk post XX162 (8th a/c ?)has good interchangeability (ICY)

Edit actually the component icy on the early Hawks is very good,but there are a few little differences externally.XX154 still has quite a few 'differences' LOL

longer ron
1st Jun 2010, 16:51
Yes you do know me A....
I was referring specifically to drilling jigs etc for the smoke conversion,not for hawk manufacture :)

XV410
2nd Jun 2010, 05:20
FCU to a different mod standard, ECA standard Hawk item.

longer ron
2nd Jun 2010, 08:28
Thanks XV...I had thought that perhaps the Reds might have managed to get hold of the mythical modded ECA to eliminate thrust pulsing ?:)
Well it may not be mythical but I cannot remember ever seeing one !!

rgds B

XV410
2nd Jun 2010, 09:58
Mythical ECA did exist, but was turned down because of cost. How many ECAs have been replaced, Aircraft come back early because of thrust pulsing over the years?????

BOAC
2nd Jun 2010, 10:09
I'll take that as a no, then:ugh:

longer ron
2nd Jun 2010, 12:37
Mythical ECA did exist, but was turned down because of cost. How many ECAs have been replaced, Aircraft come back early because of thrust pulsing over the years?????

The Lord only knows...its just about coming into that time of year again :rolleyes:

BOAC...we can all learn interesting info on here,I honestly did not know the eca mod had been turned down completely !!doesnt surprise me!!MOD never seemed to want to spend any money on Hawks !
I will not mention hydraulic rig connections :rolleyes:

champair79
8th Jun 2010, 11:04
Reds granted PDA yesterday a week early! They will be able to display at the Cosford Air Show this weekend. Well done team :ok:

Wander00
8th Jun 2010, 11:07
To the Team - Bonne chance - have a good season

PPRuNe Pop
8th Jun 2010, 12:24
Unless you have seen this already this link will tell you much.

RAF Red Arrows - Display Pilots (http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/behindthescenes/displaypilots.cfm)

It seems that Mike Ling is still injured and his place is taken by Paul O'Grady in the No 6 slot.

PPP

FlapJackMuncher
8th Jun 2010, 14:07
Hate to think what Paul O'Grady's nickname might be.
Is it Lily?

BOAC
8th Jun 2010, 14:12
Thanks all. Well done the lads (and lassies....)

STANDTO
8th Jun 2010, 18:36
Ramsey Sprint here at TT 2010 wasn't quite the same without the team. There was a contingency of a couple of Gnats, apparently, but the wx was so poor this morning they couldn't get here.

Maybe next year, if I haven't managed to organise a round of Red Bull Air Racing in the bay :ok: