PDA

View Full Version : ACARS technical info

flyingphish
4th Apr 2010, 02:24
I'm a student at an aviation college and I'm doing a presentation on ACARS. I've searched far and wide for technical info on the inner workings of ACARS (such as precisely which scheme is used to encode text as audio) and slightly less technical information, such as what the heck ACARS modes are used for.

Although I've turned up a lot of general information on the internet, I can't seem to find (m)any resources (legitimate or otherwise) that tell me what I need to know. I've used interlibrary loan to request a copy of the ATA Spec 100 (from guess which university), but who knows if it will get here in time for my report. The 3 institutions with a copy of Ed Flynn's "Understanding ACARS" won't lend them to me via ILL. I wouldn't mind taking a look at the ARINC standards relating to ACARS, but I don't have the hundreds (thousands?) of dollars to buy them. Any idea how I can get my hands on these documents, or other good, technical info (in less than 10 days)?

Any help would be appreciated, including firsthand knowledge from people who happen to know things.

Thanks!

flame_bringer
5th Apr 2010, 07:03
Normally there isnt adequate info on the deep technical stuff of ACARS even in the AMM itself, i found it mighty difficult myself back at the time when i researched about ACARS , you may find something helpful in the overhaul manuals in the description of operation section but i dont think that you can get a hold of that in 10 days only unless you have an avionics workshop around where you live or something and you ask them to lend it to you .
Just mention the info that you gathered so far in your presentation and explain it in your manner and i think it'll be regarded reasonable, i believe all what they require from you is the basics not the deep details , its difficult to get a thorough info on such systems .

mono
6th Apr 2010, 14:51
Try wiki, Google and this.

http://www.sita.aero/file/3744/Aircom+Ekaterinburg+28+Oct+09+ENG.pdf

flame_bringer
8th Apr 2010, 14:09
^^
Just wanted to thank you for the valuable PDF i just finished reading through it and now i fully understand whats ACARS
Thanks