PDA

View Full Version : Ferry flying experience as a PPL?

rowanaustin
3rd Apr 2010, 19:08
Hi there,

Hi guys, can anybody help?

I have this idea but I really don't know whether it is possible or not. I am a British citizen, 34 years old, a professional but currently between jobs – so I have a little time on my hands and am very keen to use it.

I am a private pilot (with a South African private pilot’s licence), with around 300 hours experience. Much of this has been bush flying in Africa, and also long legs in the USA.

What I am looking to do is travel with a ferry pilot who is doing a delivery from the USA to pretty much anywhere. Obviously with my experience I could not be P1, but I would be good company for the ferry pilot and one of my strengths is in logistics so would be very happy to assist in whatever might be necessary.

I am aiming to be in the US in mid June 2010. I do not mind what the destination of the aircraft would be (Europe would be great, as would Africa, but anywhere is fine). I would pay for my own transport and travel costs, and would happily provision the aircraft, and could tip the ferry pilot for the experience!

Does anybody know if the above is even feasible, and if so, does anyone have any tips?

Many thanks!!

A2B Ferry
15th Apr 2010, 23:14
A few obstacles really here. The majority of aircraft doing transatlantic flights by ferry pilots are single pistons because in truth, this is the biggest risk area. The ferry pilot is predominantly flying a 4 seater piston single. He is carrying a significant amount of equipment, survival gear, liferaft, extreme clothing etc not to mention fuel. If the aircraft is tanked, it will be operating up to 30% over gross max weight and to add a 180lb co pilot along with his baggage would cost a trade in the amount of fuel carried. Also the ferry pilot is delivering an aircraft for the aircraft owner so there could be issues there. How would the ferry pilot feel about sharing a toilet with a stranger in the close confines of a cockpit and I am sure there would be many more so all in all I really dont think there would be too many ferry pilots that would welcome what you suggest. Sorry if I appear to rain on your parade.

ZeeDoktor
16th Apr 2010, 01:45
Even if you find a ferry pilot willing to do this, insurance requirements might be the next show stopper.