PDA

View Full Version : Cat C airport as alternate ?

Twin2040
3rd Apr 2010, 19:02
Are you able to use a Cat C airport as alternate ? If no - could some one tell me where to find this in writting. Thanks. Twin2040

bfisk
3rd Apr 2010, 23:51
Never seen such a requirement, so I suppose that would have to be a company requirement if there is such. However a cat C airfield, as classed by an operator, would usually have challenges that may affect it's suitability as an alternate, that is to say; you might want to pick something more straightforward if it's possible.

FlightDetent
4th Apr 2010, 01:27
No, we cannot. Nothing wrong with going to C as long as both crew members are qualified, but C may not be nominated in the OFP/FPL. My reference is in OM-A - cannot help you any further.

FD (the un-real)

Twin2040
4th Apr 2010, 08:48
Thanks guys - nothing in my part A - Im not a great fan of using a Cat C airfield as alternate - there is reason for a airfield being part C - for now it is our only solution. Thanks again.

no sig
4th Apr 2010, 15:46
Is this Cat. C alternate airport also a destination in your network?

If it is, and the crew for the flight are properly briefed pre-flight to hold this airfield as an alternate, meet the OM requirements to operate into this specific Cat. C airfield as a destination airport, then why would this same Cat. C airfield not be suitable as an alternate? Is it somehow worse to file as an alternate rather than to fly there as a destination? (and I make an assumption it is a usual destination in your network)

Well, an argument could be made not to use it as an alternate due to additional pilot workload during a diversion and the challenges this airport might have. That might be countered by alternate sector length, i.e. if they have sufficient time to during the diversion to establish in the cruise and brief as they would during a normal arrival to this airfield, then maybe this isn't an issue.

If the Cat. C alternate airfield is not one of your usual destinations, then there is an argument that supports not using it due to operating familiarity, if you have a choice- which you tell us you don't. In which case you carry the burden of having to ensure your crews meet the training requirements and that they are checked out for this Cat. C alternate airfield- and all the crewing and cost issues that goes with that.

One assumes that your CP or CTC has reviewed this operation and considered the Cat. C alternate issue and approved it as such.

crjlover
4th Apr 2010, 20:41
In the company where I work legally we can use a cat c airport, provided the crew are trained to fly to that airport.
Pratically we never do that to much hassle. And I think that just a few captains will accept such an alternate.

Twin2040
6th Apr 2010, 07:13
Hi again and tanks for the good input. The Airfield is not on our rute net as we do not have any routes - just charters and ad hoc. Regards. Twin2040.

ACW186
6th Apr 2010, 13:13
With crjlover there, it can be done but why do it?
Just make sure you have a third alternate as well...as the good old Irish say;
'To be sure, to be sure, to be sure!'

:ok:

Dan Winterland
8th Apr 2010, 04:44
Writing as a pilot, it depends on the airport. We have 2 Cat Cs on our network. One I would be perfectly happy to accept as an alternate, the other definately not - under any circumstances! If using Cat Cs as an alternate is allowable under your regs, I would suggest forming a policy with your company fleet office (or equivalent).