PDA

View Full Version : partial hangaring (tail sticks out) - stability?

jettison valve
3rd Apr 2010, 19:01
Hi,

From time to time, I see aircraft hangared only partially, i. e. most of it is in the hangar, but the tail sticks out.
For example, see

Photos: Lockheed C-5B Galaxy (L-500) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-C-5B-Galaxy/1449528/L/)

Suspecting that aircraft stability is given (CG in a range that avoids tipping) - how do you treat wind loads on the tail to ensure that the aircraft won^t be turned around / rotated sideways?

For the A330/A340s, the AMM gives only information for parking / jacking in the open.
But what about the partial hangaring? I am a bit worried about the influence of the hangar, and a "funneling" effect.

So, any experience out there for this config?
Any reasonable calculations for max. allowable wind speed / direction possible?

Thanks!
J.V.

muduckace
4th Apr 2010, 15:46
Especially with that C-5, with those wheels chocked the weather conditions would have to be freakisly extream to swing the aircraft around. The only aircraft that I know of that has a bad rap for jumping chocks and spinning is the b727, hydraulic pressure bleeds off and a load on that t tail will turn it around, chocking the nose or hooking up a tug is usually a perfect answer.

Speaking of t-tails, dc-9's are well known to sit on their ass in a heavy snow. you can find some nice pics on airliners if you wish.

Having said that the only wind limitations i have seen in maintenance manuals are for open doors/cowlings or during jacking procedure.

Bus429
4th Apr 2010, 18:24
Generally a no-no; I know of one maintenance organisation sanctioned by its EASA regulator for having aircraft half in/out and jacked.

Fargoo
4th Apr 2010, 23:17
I've worked in a few places where the tail is exposed as the hangars were built in the 50s or 60s and are too small for modern airliners.

Never seen a problem with the small bus or the 757 even in pretty extreme wind conditions. Wouldn't dream of jacking one with its bum sticking out though...

Our hangar is very similar in design to the one above and can house 737,757 or A320's.

Alber Ratman
5th Apr 2010, 09:25
is it the place with the doors that are tractor opening??:8

Yeah, Jack indoors. It gets windy inside when somebody leaves the doors open, but not enough to affect an aircraft's position!

jettison valve
1st May 2010, 14:05
Thanks everybody for the answers... Highly appreciated! :ok:

Regards, J.V.

PS: Back into the sunshine now... :cool:

one dot right
7th May 2010, 07:31
Yeah, Jack indoors. It gets windy inside when somebody leaves the doors open, but not enough to affect an aircraft's position!

Not true i'm afraid. Was walking through the old hangar 3 at LGW one (windy) day past a 747-236 which had its tail sticking out, Nosewheel suddenly shifted sideways about three feet due to a gust. Scared the cr*p out of me as I was level with it at the time. It was too windy apparently to move the tail gantry into position, so the fin was exposed to the wind!

Edit to say, Just read your post properly and realised you're not advocating Jacking with the tail out. Must learn to read posts properly:ugh: