PDA

View Full Version : Port Elizabeth - weather in July?

User1249
3rd Apr 2010, 15:24
Hi, am thinking about doing my PPL in July in Port Elizabeth. Only have 8 weeks to do it though. Does anyone know what the weather is like at that time of year?? Want to make sure will be able to get in enough hours.

Thanks!

Tony Tornado
3rd Apr 2010, 16:34
Unfortunately July and August are the worst months in the whole year.

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Apr 2010, 16:35
I wonder if this would be helping you?
Though I have not flwon much from PE I think that it is possible that the wind speed and direction might be of the more concern to you.

http://www.climatetemp.info/graph/port-elizabeth_files/image001.gif

Capetonian
3rd Apr 2010, 17:47
I'm partially colour blind so that chart is not very helpful to me but I'm sure it is to you. PE has a pretty kak climate and as TT said, the winter months JUL/AUG are the worst. I don't know enough about flying to comment helpfully other than to say that PE can be very windy although that is more likely to be the case in the summer.

On a more positive note, it's a small and friendly city. I hope you enjoy it.

bkehoe
3rd Apr 2010, 20:47
Dunno if it was an exception but when I was just up the coast a bit in FAPA in 2007/2008, the winter (July and August of 08) was the driest part of the year (no rain for weeks, drought in the E.C.!) and was when I got the most flying done! And for those who were there before me in 07 it was the same, winter was when they had the most flying days.

User1249
4th Apr 2010, 12:54
All, thanks for your help. Sounds like there is a good chance that we can get through our training in the time we have so reckon we will give it a go.
Looking forward to spending some time in PE as well based on the above!