PDA

View Full Version : Holding B1 And B2 Licences

Rolls Trent
3rd Apr 2010, 06:57
Just wanted to get the thoughts of Licensed Engineers out there about taking the Part 66 Licensed Engineering courses. I am looking to start at studying for the B2 (Avionics) modules to get the Licence and hopefully in time build up the 5 years practical experience required to make taking the exams into an eventual licence. I have decided on Avionics as that interests me the most however I very much enjoyed the gas turbines part of my National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering.

Is taking the modules for both the B1 and B2 a good idea? E.g. Can it work in the real world to have a B1 and B2 licence combined.

I am considering the “Licence by Post” option and searching for an employer (a 38 yr old in midlife retrain/crisis!). Ideally I would enrol on a fulltime course however it’s not feasible with everyday commitments.

Thanks again

flame_bringer
3rd Apr 2010, 07:48
Pardon , i just noticed that you mentioned doing it by the license by post option .
its not worth it ,why doing it in 5 years :S when you have the option to contract the period to 2 years by just attending a few classes , you can just arrange it with your commitments .
anyways its up to you

spannersatcx
3rd Apr 2010, 08:02
Have a look at the CAA website ELGD documents they have all the info you need, as I'm not sure where flame bringer gets all his/her info from, ELGD (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=177&pagetype=68&gid=777)

For a self starter it is 5 years experience required.

D3.3 Self Starter and Other Experienced
Applicants
Category B1.1 or B1.3 applicants who have not
attended a Part-147 approved course of training,
should have at least 5 years practical maintenance
experience on operating aircraft. Experienced
engineers within the UK, such as Skilled Workers,
Armed Forces, Coast Guards or Police, may be eligible
for a reduction in experience required (refer to
sub-section D4).

B2 is a dying breed, (in my opinion) B1 is the way to go, having said that there is nothing to stop you getting both. I work at a line station and have been for 15 tears, and we have never had a B2 there. There are times when we have needed a B2 in that time maybe 4 times.

flame_bringer
3rd Apr 2010, 08:05
I just didnt read all of his topic , and missed the license by post part :{
anyways i dont know , it depends on his preference but thats what iv been told by some b1/b2 holders .
and the source of my info is google

spannersatcx
3rd Apr 2010, 16:16
Always remember RTFQ.

Heliarctic
4th Apr 2010, 16:12
@Flamebringer
I don`t know where you got the "most companies don`t appreciate this attribute" from, because the company that i work for doesn`t have a single mechanic that isn`t both B1 & B2, several of us have a C rating on top of that as well. We do get paid for having both, eventhough my B2 is rarely used i still feel it`s a good thing to be "dual" rated.
As we have a lot of outstation work far from mainbase it gives us more independence to solve a problem on the spot, with out calling in extra manpower.
In my oppinion you are more employable when you have both ratings, wether you get paid more or less is something you have to deal with yourself in a salary negotiation, or make clear that your are there working solely as eg.a B1
You work on what the boss tells you in the end, and if it`s within your scope of capabilities, and your rights are held up, does it matter what you work on if you like working in both fields?
Rolls Trent. in the end it`s up to you, i`m pretty sure that there as many oppinions as there are mechanics, but you`ve heard from a couple of them now at least.
Good day
Heliarctic