PDA

View Full Version : BA eyesight requirement

Crowe
11th Jul 2001, 14:36
I'm thinking of applying to BA, and have heard that their medical requirements are stricter than JAA Class 1.

I have a class 1 medical, but my eyesight is in the -3 to -5 bracket (I'm over 25 so got the Class 1).

Does anyone know if BA stick to the +/-3 dioptre limit, or a different one entirely?

Thanks

mattince
11th Jul 2001, 23:15
I was lead to believe that one of the reasons BA are stricter is because they require an HIV test as well.

To the airline, £100,000 is an investment in a pilot's future career and they therefore feel the need to secure it with HIV-negative cadets.

Constable Clipcock
12th Jul 2001, 00:01
Consider, mattince, the matter of AIDS-related dementia. Also consider that those whose behavior puts them at risk for HIV infection are psychologically unsuitable for aviation anyway.

mattince
13th Jul 2001, 03:33
Psycologically unsuitable for aviation? What behaviour are you talking about?

People don't go out and get infected with HIV deliberately and do not be under the illusion that heterosexuals are safer than gays.

What people get up to in bed is their own business but, if an applicant is already HIV infected then BA cannot take the financial risk.

Crowe
13th Jul 2001, 18:19
mattince - I'm guessing Constable Clipcock is referring to intravenous drug users?

Let's face it, with that username he's not likely to be a homophobe, is he?? :D

Stratocaster
14th Jul 2001, 12:59
HIV-tests are justified because Nigels hate to use condoms during night-stops.

:D

mattince
16th Jul 2001, 03:34
Yes I understand. I actually wrote a longer reply regarding high-risk groups such as needle-sharers but decided it would be seen as preaching!