PDA

View Full Version : CLASS 1. Do I HAVE to renew ?

GASH !
9th Jul 2001, 22:16
I have a JAR class 1 that has just expired. I also have a JAR class 2 which is fine for private flying.

Could someone tell me, do I have to renew the class 1 now so as to avoid another trip down to the Belgrano or can I just renew it whenever ? As I`m still studying for the ATPL exams I have no commercial use for the class 1 and would like to avoid forking out again if possible.

9th Jul 2001, 22:50
My class 1 has expired also, its been two years. I contacted the CAA Medical advice and they said I just had to go to my local AME and they will renew it. This is their e-mail address if you want to contact them directly. [email protected]

152 :)

Whirlybird
10th Jul 2001, 00:31
You can let it expire; I finally found this out after phoning the CAA several times. You have up to about two years to renew before having to go back to the Belgrano; might be longer, I can't quite remember. Also, you can now use a Class 1 as a Class 2 for the length of time a Class 2 would be valid, as was true in the past pre-JAR. The trouble is, not a lot of AMEs know that. I had to persuade mine to phone the CAA to get this confirmed; then all he had to do was stick a label on my Class 1 saying it could be used for Class 2 privileges and validity.

Docfly
12th Jul 2001, 00:10
You have 5yrs from date of expiry before you have to renew at Gatwick. Between 2 and 5yrs the AME has to check with Gatwick before he can renew.

GASH !
13th Jul 2001, 21:10
Many thanks folks, I knew someone would know. :)