PDA

View Full Version : Text by SKYPE

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Apr 2010, 10:29
I detest SMS / Text messaging, why use your ‘phone as a typewriter, why not just talk into the damned thing, tho’ I do accept that it is a lot cheaper to send a text message than make a mobile 'phone call, which I guess is the attraction ?

Couple that with the fact that my 75 year old fingers have trouble with the complicated key / character combination, I’ve recently taken to creating messages, when I’m at home, on the computer, then sending them by SKYPE.

Trouble is they sometimes take a long time, 5 hours recently, to be delivered, which rather defeats the object !

Is this a SKYPE thing, or is the NZ Telecom system just being beastly to a competitor ? Does it happen in other countries ?

Capetonian
2nd Apr 2010, 10:38
wot? sri dnt undrstnd. txting is gr8. cu l8r m8.

I have told my son that if I catch him using text language anywhere, his phone is confiscated. Apart from anything else, it will save me a lot of money!

jimtherev
2nd Apr 2010, 11:31
I only use Skype for texting infrequently, but I've never noticed a significant delay. About 5 minutes is about what I expect, between 'sending' and 'delivered'. But that's London - so doesn't answer your question fully.

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Apr 2010, 21:27
Just got this reply from SKYPE - which doesn't address my question about the local Telecom agencies trying to scupper SKYPE - or not ?

If an SMS message has been in "Pending" status for more than 24 hours
then most likely there are some connection problems and the Skype
application is not able to update the SMS status properly.

Obviously there are connection problems, I wanted to know why.

Guess I'll just have to sharpen the ends of my fingers.

Gave a first flying lesson to a 14 yr. old - and as a devotee of Microsoft Flight Sim, he did remarkably well - but taxying in I noticed a 'phone in his left hand and he was single handedly texting his friends !

NZ has just banned texting in moving cars ( how will the Police know it is going on - unless they find the phone in the wreckage - as most teenagers can operate the damned thing out of sight ) but they forgot to prohibit use of text whilst flying an aeroplane ! ( but I do, now ! )

HandyAndy
2nd Apr 2010, 22:23
speedy

I use Skype all the time when travelling (and sometimes at home) to send text messages and for phone calls. After you press the send button, the history line above the text box should say "sent" and a few seconds later "delivered".

I've only experienced one hotel a few years ago hampering Skype and only on very rare occasions is the message "pending" for any length of time. If you are getting this frequently from one location then it may be being throttled or blocked in which case call the ISP to check.

Aerouk
2nd Apr 2010, 22:42
I prefer texting, I don't know what it is but I just hate phoning people all the time.

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Apr 2010, 23:59
I prefer texting, I don't know what it is but I just hate phoning people all the time.

It also gives you time to ' consider your response ' and you don't have to make snap decisions, but it isn't my generation - but then that's Life !

HandAndy - should do, but it was a 'sent' confirmation that took 5 hours to arrive, hence my intial inquiry that the local NZ Telecom agency were playing Hard Ball, still could be, just don't know enough about the system.

Will stick to two half coconuts and a piece of string.

I'm almost of the era, but can still remember, visits to outposts of the British Raj when bellboys walked around hotel lobbys bearing cleft sticks with notes stuck in them, the only concession to progress being a bicycle bell attached to the stick ! and at home boys used bicycles to personally deliver telegrams ( often written in what we now call text, 'cos every character was charged ) to ones' home ! System worked tho. Have computers really improved the quality of life !!

Thanks for the replies, there's always someone, somewhere, who knows the answer.

ExS.

parabellum
3rd Apr 2010, 10:13
The Bell Boys still do that in the Taj, Speedy! No PA at all!

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Apr 2010, 23:12
Aahhh ! The Taj. So there is still some sanity in the World !

( did the Taj survive it's recent terrorist attack OK ? )