PDA

View Full Version : 3 way mid-air collision in Midlands - one dead

Luke SkyToddler
15th Jul 2001, 22:27
This just posted on Yahoo news within the last hour or so.

----------------------

Sunday July 15, 05:08 PM

Pilot dies in three plane collision
LONDON (Reuters) - A pilot has died in a freak collision involving two gliders and a light plane in the Midlands, police said.

A police spokesman said the incident happened in the sky over the village of Bidford-on-Avon, about 20 miles south of Birmingham.

A spokesman for Hereford and Worcester Ambulance Service said one male glider pilot was found dead at the scene and another casualty was taken to hospital where his condition was described as "not serious".

The pilot of the light aircraft was not hurt.

"We received reports of three separate casualties with one fatality at the scene," the ambulance spokesman said. "One glider came down on the Bidford to Honeyborn Road and the other was at South Littleton, a village in Hereford and Worcester.

"The powered aircraft came down near Bidford airfield where the casualty was not thought to be injured."

John Watson, chief flying instructor at Bidford Gliding Centre, said first reports indicated the Piper Super Cub light plane was towing one of the gliders when they were in a collision with the glider at 1,500 feet.

There were no other immediate details.

---------------

My condolences go out to all involved :(

NoSurrender
16th Jul 2001, 01:08
1 DEAD in South Wales also in towing accident. :(

Diesel8
16th Jul 2001, 01:41
"were the casualty not thought to be injured"

Huh?

VFE
16th Jul 2001, 02:40
According to BBC1 Ceefax, the glider pilot sadly killed in the three-way mid air bailed out but his parachute failed to deploy properly. Terrible.

Condolences to those concerned.

aidybennett
16th Jul 2001, 16:35
Apparently the pilot of the glider that hit the tug-glider combination, baled out at very low alltitude; there was no cahnce for the parachute to open. The report I heard was that the pilot of the glider on tow was injured, but not seriously.
Deisel8-Is it approiate to pick on writing gaffs in a 'funny' way when we're discussing an fatal accident?

[ 16 July 2001: Message edited by: Captain James Bigglesworth ]

Meatbomber
16th Jul 2001, 16:45
being a long time tug pilot i can only knock on wood and be happy to being luky to date..

reminds you to keep your head on a swivel all the time !

my condolences to the relatives of the lider pilot

MB

aidybennett
16th Jul 2001, 17:14
meatbomber-I can only agree. Also done a lot of tugging and had a couple of close ones-one very close (about twenty feet above, opposite direction-opps!) Anyone who says they look out 'enough' is lying, because you can't look out enough, and we all have times we're heads down too long. No critisism of those envovled intended , just a statement. Yet another very sad occurance.